Absolutely Altinkum's very own Columnist.

by Ronsgame 19 May 2008, 06:16
<font color="red">John's Health and Accident:</font id="red"> Well, may I thank those of you who wished John well after his accident and also Magi who spent most of her day at the hospital with us. We do not know what we would have done without her. To this day, he does not know what happened. He remembers <u>before</u> he went down on the floor and only from when he was returning back into the house after having X-Rays etc. I would not mind but I could hear him talking to Magi when he was getting his head x-rayed. He does not even remember that. Kerem (my former boss at the Didymian) also gave us support and offers of help.

I remember having my head x-rayed when I was only around eight years old. I was dreadfully overweight and the doctor wanted to check my Thyroid. I, of course, did not know this and believed my Mother when she told me whey wanted to see if I had any brains!! Now that was what amounted to one Silly Child.

What on earth is happening to the beautiful country we once called Rhodesia? I lived and worked in Rhodesia in the 1970's. [As I tell people, whenever they ask, I never lived in Zimbabwe, the only Zimbabwe I knew were the ruins built by a tall, white-skinned tribe from the North of Africa]. It was a beautiful country and, unlike South Africa did not suffer from separation. I spent nine years in Southern Africa, living in Durban, Cape Town and Johannesburg. I was so used to the absence of Black South Africans in public places such as Banks, Building Societies and other State-run agencies that I could not believe the sight of Rhodesian Blacks behind the counters in Salisbury when I moved there. What have these poor people got now? Absolutely nothing. The God-Head Mugabe has bled the place dry and is treating his own people as though he were a slave trader from the nineteenth century. Something will have to be done about him as, even now, he is contesting the election results. Who - in their right minds - would freely vote for him anyway. Arrogance is an evil thing and he has it in abundance. A lot of people who have never even been to Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) obviously do not know what it was like there Post-Mugabe It was a thriving country, mainly for tobacco. There were farmers who had lived for generations on the land, which was taken, by brute force by Mugabe and his henchmen.

I wonder what the countries of Burma, Indonesia and now China have done to deserve the awful occurrences that are happening at the moment. Most people in these countries are poor, unassuming souls who do not deserve to suffer in this manner. They seem to live simple lives in their little villages and small towns, obviously never bother with politics or most likely never seen a television set and yet, they are being punished in a way that defies comprehension.

China: As we all know, is hosting the 2008 Olympic Games - good for them I say, but.... and this is a big but, what about the structures that have aided in the deaths of people during the earthquake. One school was due to be demolished but the Chinese Government said they did not have the money to build a new one at the present time. O.K., I agree that the Olympics bring money into the countries that host these games, even though they have to fork out great amounts to build special arenas etc. At this time when the Chinese people need the infrastructure sorting out, would the money not have been better spent serving the ordinary peoples of China by re-buildings schools, hospitals and homes that would stand the test of time and the ravages of earthquakes? Over 200 small children died in one school which had been condemned and not re-built, owing to lack of money by the Government.

<font color="red">Quiz Show Hosts:</font id="red"> My husband does not like Anna Robinson and I should imagine he is not alone in this thought. What he would like to see is a programme where all these Quiz Show Hosts are put under the same pressure as the poor contestants are. Ridiculed by scathing tongues. This would include Ms, Robinson who, we should imagine would not be able to go very many rounds. If she did not have the answers on the small screen in front of her I fear she would be totally lost.

On the news yesterday, an American soldier has been dismissed from the Army, why? Well, his brain was apparently not in working order when he decided to shoot at at a sign which had the Koran written on it. His actions, naturally, brought condemnation from the people of Baghdad where this atrocity happened. The army checks these men for physical heath, why not their brains as well? My view is that the Americans should pull out now and leave it up to the people of Iraq to re-build their country. Help them by all means with medicines, schools etc. but let them sort it out themselves now. Their way of life is completely alien to ours, we must not try to change them to our way of thinking. I do often wonder, did God die and someone put America in charge of the World? I once heard years ago that if there was not a war in some part of the world, then America would be in trouble!!

In case some people are wondering why the building work is still on-going in the residential parts of Altinkum and Didim - this will now cease on the 1st of June this year.

Before I finish, can I please remind you to complete the Registration Forums for the British Consulate. This has a two-fold advantage. The first is, the more members the British Consulate has the better the chance of getting an office here in Didim, thus aiding with problems people may have and to save a journey to either Bodrum or Izmir. The second is, after what has happened in Burma and China, the Consulate would know how many people <b>could</b> be missing if there were to be a bad earthquake. Some people seem to think that filling in this form would give certain authorities permission to check on their personal details. Not a Chance!! These forms are protected by an Information Protection Law so please, do the sensible thing for yourselves and your families.

Well, the hotter weather seems to have arrived. As I used to tell people when I worked for The Didiymian, please take care with your skin, it is the only skin you will have and deep in the depths of it lurk little people hell-bent on creating havoc if you do not put a layer of protection on it. So, please use sun cream to protect yourselves. I have been burned three times, once in Blackpool (of all places), once in Majorca and once in Durban, South Africa. Boy, did I suffer. Blackpool was from sheer ignorance as I was only fifteen at the time. Majorca was sheer stupidity and Durban was from just sitting reading a book outside a hotel at the seaside. We were visiting friends and I did not sit in the shade - stupid, stupid, stupid.

What about the 'Red Arrows' being banned from taking part in this years aerobatic events? England seems to be going downhill fast. How can these men be called 'Too British' for goodness sake? Remember, it IS called Great Britain - or was at one time. It stood for something, it was a fair and just country. What has happened to it? People used to say they were "Proud to be British". Not any more. The Labour Government (well, in my opinion anyway) has really pulled the country down. Are their heads full of sawdust?

Sorry this is not as long as previous 'Views' but sometimes life seems to get in the way of doing things.

Enjoy your holiday, if on holiday - life if you live here and everything this country has to offer. Turkey is try to get things right, it just takes time. The people are kind and generous and are proud of the country they live in and really appreciate it if you treat it with the same respect they do.

Until next time.

Veronica

Live Simply. Love Generously. Care Deeply.

Veronica

by michaelandanita 19 May 2008, 10:25
Veronica I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post. It is a very informative and interesting.
I hope John continues to keep fit and well after his accident.
Anita

by colinA1 19 May 2008, 14:57
Veronica,

A very interesting read as always, several years ago a farmer customer of mine used to visit friends of his in Rhodesia, they were farmers also, he visited again after Mugabe came to power and could not believe the changes, the lands farmed by the "White" Rhodesians extremely productively had been grabbed by the government and "given" to the coloured community who neither had the knowlege, or in many cases the will, to farm them hence the downward spiral and todays disaster for the country.

I just hope Morgan Tsangari can oust Mugabe then, maybe, the Zimbabweans can look forward to a better future.

Colin and Linda

Colin and Linda

by JANE 19 May 2008, 17:55
We are pleased John is getting better after his fall! Billy and I met John near to Ege cad,on his way home from the Rising Sun,ended up having a long conversation ,and he was very nice to talk to.Billy said he could listen to his tales all day!! Any way we hope he stays well,

Jane and Billy,

"Wish we were there"!

"Wish we were there"!

by Moira 19 May 2008, 18:51
As always Veronica, a really interesting article and a great read. If Zimbabwe had a few oil wells the powers that be would have stopped Mugabe in his tracks long ago.

Also, I read somewhere today that Mugabe intends to assasinate the opposition Leader when he sets foot back in Zimbabwe.

Moira:)

by Babycham 19 May 2008, 19:33
Veronica:

This reminds me had an application form for shorthand typists for Rhodesia. I never applied but read the information.

I was probably young and cowardly at the time.

by Ronsgame 19 May 2008, 19:43
That is what was on the television Moira. Morgan Tsangari is in South Africa at the moment. As you say, if there had been oil then, the Yanks would have been in quick-sharp. All that is - or rather WAS there - was a beautiful country brought to its knees by a very ruthless man. The opposition were voted in by the people and I for one cannot understand why there should be another vote to decide the President. Would Mugabe rule over an opposition government, I very much doubt it!
I used to work for the Royal Rhodesian Air Force in Milton Buildings. In the Basement was the office of Ian Smith. The British Labour Government of the time, really let him down. At least Ian Smith fought in the war, unlike Harold Wilson who was a conscientious objector.
You could always tell the farms that were run by the Whites, as opposed to the ones that the Rhodesian Blacks had. There was absolutely nothing growing in the soil where the Africans lived. They had no interest in the land even in the 1970's so why 'give' them productive land that they will not do anything with now? I still get very hot under the collar when I think about it.

Veronica

Veronica

by lacashajoc 19 May 2008, 21:44
A family member lived in Rhodesia for years,had a fantastic life style, property etc-ended up losing a lot of money cause he couldnt bring it out.
Another thought provoking read, thanks Veronica.
Pat

PAT

by Ronsgame 21 May 2008, 16:46
Lynn, what I wrote in my Original post I actually have forgotten, I could not tell you a single word from it. My life, at the moment, is sometimes at sixes and sevens. I did not mention England in this particular post and could not understand what was so upsetting. Harold Wilson and Ian Smith were heads of countries around forty years ago. I would think even you would have been young then. If I had been going on about the U.K. in this post I could understand it but the only time I really mentioned it was related to me being a young girl.

Veronica

Veronica

by pollybutler 21 May 2008, 17:47
hi i am so sorry thats what comes of not keeping up i didn't kn9ow he had had a fall which hospital did u go to
Polly
xx