Absolutely Altinkum's very own Columnist.

by Ronsgame 30 Sep 2008, 07:51
When we join Glynn, it is obviously not deemed necessary. Some people maybe do not want others to have their personal E-Mail Address. We are going off topic here. It was only a question from Paul and Kim about Jumble.

Veronica

Live Simply. Love Generously. Care Deeply.

Veronica

by burcu 02 Oct 2008, 20:27
hi Veronica, it is really important to learn in harmony and peace. However, in life it is not always possible if there are haves and have-nots in society. Unfortunately, in Turkey, middle class is weak and state is not able to support all the poor with basic needs, food and shelter. Again, unfortunately, there are some people who made being poor or playing the poor as their jobs. For some, being poor is a sector to earn money. and they pick not only you foreigners but also us, who are better off financially, or women who they think by nature are kind and merciful, or those who are religious etc... they have very well defined target audience for collecting money. For instance, many of people, even Turks, consider simit-sellers, or corn sellers as poor and lonely kids who try to make money for their household. However, the fact is that these kids are a part of a organization, of course illegal. In this organization, this kids are made work and they collect money and they give that money to above. They only got a pocket money if they are lucky. Kids are used for collecting money, the organization do not pay tax to the state, as people who ate from these people are full do not buy food from the restaurants who pay tax... as the state do not get tax, it is poorer and cannot afford helping the poor. This is a very big economic vicious circle in Turkey, and in the world in general.
As of burglary, unfortunately, burglary is a very big problem for everyone in summer cities, for both turks and british. Summer houses are without protection and people leave valuable things in their houses. and bad people very well aware of this situation. Due to the difference between summer and winter population in summer places, state do not take as many people as sufficient for the region. Due to the lack of personnel in security, I think, patrols are not enough to deter burglars... we all suffer the problem, we hired a nightmanwatcher and security camera system. It helped a lot.
Another tip for burglary, do not let people who collects old stuff etc into your neighbourhoods, check their licence plates, if they are not registered here, you may suspect them. this is what we do... These second-hand dealers are obliged to be registered and they have a registered-defined place.mobile second hand dealers or sellers are not reliable they usualy come for reconnaissance. After finding out the target, they come for their real aims. be careful and keep eye on your neighbours' households too. Neighbourhood is the most important and unoffical security measurement that you can take...
best wishes to all

burcu

burcu

by Ronsgame 05 Oct 2008, 10:09
Thank you for your thoughts and comments Burcu. When I talk about people getting on together, I really mean the World-Wide Family (as some people call it). We all know that there is a lot of inequality in Turkey - as there is in most countries. Burglaries, well this subject has been covered quite a lot on this Forum as most Friends of A.A. know. I myself avoided being robbed in my own home, all because we were lucky enough to have a big dog. Now we have three, one, which I can say with confidence, will stand no nonsense from anyone; least of all a burglar. I was robbed in the Supermarket of a large sum of money and now carry my handbag in front of me. Once bitten as they say - twice shy.

Once again, thank you for your comments, you have experience about these things and it is always helpful to have input from anyone who can help us.

Veronica

Veronica

by Ladyrisq 18 Oct 2008, 22:17
Burcu said most of what i was going to reply, but its not just the kids that are part of this network. The begging women are the same they play on your kindness and normally take along their children to make you feel bad that they are poor and have to support a child. Even in the most remote of villages Turkish kindness is great and neighbours become more like family, and anyone who needed their child watched could easily drop them off at a neighbour but as i said it is all to play on pity. These kids are well trained and clever, i witnessed once a few kids in McDonald's in Marmaris pushing and shoving, they ended up `bashing` into some man, needless to say his wallet was taken!
And as for tourists taking over and not opening their eyes before they come to live here - it pees me off that in the tourist areas the councils request the mosques lower the volume on their prayer call `as it annoys the tourists` I am not religious but i understand this is a Muslim country, and did before i moved here and still made the decision to move but i would never complain about something that is part of the culture. Other areas have the volume quite a lot louder than the resorts, i have come to love hearing this as it is sometimes soothing and sometimes eerie sounding (especially in the middle of the night) its part of turkey you soon learn to love it and ignore it when you need to! And the thing that REALLY pees me off is that most of these complainers sit in England moaning that foreigners are taking over and don't respect our ways, but are doing the same themselves abroad!

Claire

Claire and Erdem
Life is good, life is complex