Absolutely Altinkum's very own Columnist.
by Ronsgame 22 Oct 2009, 20:45
Just to keep my hand it (as they say), I shall take my time and patience with my keyboard and just give a few comments. As the title says, Veronica VIEWS. If I do say something someone does not like, then I will not apologise as these are my views. As Editor I used to put my views down and there was only one lady who challenged me. Mind you, she did send her apologies, it turned out she was wrong about her subject. (It's O.K., I could get through the doorway, my head was not that big.) Not saying I am always right but, for the people who really know me, if I argue a point, then do not say anything, because I know what I am talking about. If I am not, I usually say "Not sure, but I think so".

Unlike Karen, who calls herself 'Big Red', I cannot recall any really funny things that have happened to me. Sad things yes!
One being when I bought a lovely little puppy from the pet shop many, many moons ago. She was gorgeous, so sweet. She was part Beadle and had the most beautiful eyes. I called her Peggy. Where my Dad worked was near the main road between Accrington and Blackburn, at a place called Church. I took Peggy for a walk, down to see my Dad. I let her off the lead so she could run around. When the time came for me to return home with Dad, I could not find her anywhere. To digress now, I was wearing a new pair of earrings, dark green in the shape of horse-shoes. The thing was, they were hanging down. During the search for Peggy, my Dad saw the earrings and said "No wonder you are having bad luck, it's those earrings, the luck is all running out of them. I did not think about this. By now, we had been searching for about thirty minutes. When Dad said this to me, I immediately pulled the things out of my ears. We decided to wander out onto the main road. No sign of her. I honestly began to cry as she was such a lovely, little puppy. We wandered up to the traffic lights where there was a bus stop (shelter) for the Blackburn/Accrington buses. This bus stop was built into the stonework. When we reached the shelter a lady asked us we we looking for a little dog. We told her yes. "Thank the Lord' was her reply, 'I was hoping the owner would come along before my bus came. She is in the corner, hiding from the traffic". With a squeal, I ran to pick Peggy up and give her a great big cuddle. Now, whether or not it had been the earrings or not, I don't know but from that day to this, everytime I see a horse-shoe with the openings at the bottom, I want to turn them round, just in case!!!!
Told you it was sad but it did have a happy ending. Still not funny though, sorry.

Veronica

Live Simply. Love Generously. Care Deeply.
by Ronsgame 22 Oct 2009, 21:10
Hi there John.

I had never heard of it until my Dad told me. He came from Ulverston in Cumberland so, they must have had the same beliefs as in Ireland. Which county do you come from?

Veronica

by lovetotravelinstyle 22 Oct 2009, 22:46
Awww nice read Veronica :)

Tracey Image

WHEN GIRLS DRINK TOO MUCH............

WE BELIEVE THAT DANCING WITH OUR ARMS OVERHEAD AND WIGGLING OUR BUTT
WHILE YELLING 'WOO-HOO!' IS TRULY THE SEXIEST DANCE MOVE AROUND
by PJRichards 23 Oct 2009, 07:51
I have heard this about the horse shoes before always have them 'sitting' on their bum end. :lol: :lol:
Lovely story V. Did you have Peggy for very long :?:
by Ronsgame 23 Oct 2009, 09:28
No Pauline. Unfortunately it was in the days when we knew very little about the healthcare of dogs and the vets were not as good as they are now. (Mind you they were not as expensive so, somethings you win with and others you do not.) She contracted distemper and we had to have her put to sleep. God, I cried for weeks. She looked so lovely as the vet carried her out of the house, her beautiful eyes had such a peaceful look in them. One thing I DO remember was, a lady we knew at the end of our road (a nice lady really) said she thought poor little Peggy was being stupid - she just sat down on the pavement and would not acknowledge her. In truth, she was obviously ill but we did not know it. Poor little girl.

One thing she loved to do was to go upstairs on the bus (as we had to do with dogs anyway), sit on the seat between my Mother and I and watch the people behind us. We always had to make sure we were on the front seat on the bus. Talk about children. I still feel quilty about her health. These days I always make sure my dogs have their injections.

Veronica

by carlnsharon 23 Oct 2009, 13:45
Great to hear from you again, thanks for persevering with the keyboard :D

From wikipedia:

"When kept as a talisman, a horseshoe is said to bring good luck. Many believe that to hang it with the ends pointing upwards is good luck as it acts as a storage container of sorts for any good luck that happens to be floating by, whereas to hang it with the ends pointing down, is bad luck as all the good luck will fall out"

Carl.
Church, Lancashire :)
by Ronsgame 23 Oct 2009, 21:29
Hi there Carl,

So, when you read this little offering you would have been able to imagine where I was talking about. That's nice.

It takes me twice as long to type something as I have to keep checking to see what wonderfully stupid and umbelievable trash this keyboard has produced.

Take Care.

Veronica

by carlnsharon 25 Oct 2009, 20:48
I certainly can. There has been quite a few changes in Church recently, European regeneration money. There are some benefits of being in Europe :D
Carl.