Absolutely Altinkum's very own Columnist.
by Ronsgame 12 Nov 2013, 13:04
My Daughter Wendy sends us parcels every so often. She said she had sent one and, even though I do know she is busy these days because of starting her own business, I did wonder if something was wrong. I sent her an E-Mail (feeling rather cheeky) and asked her if everything was alright. She told me that she was going to post if in a day or two as she was snowed under with work. (It really does sound as though she is sending Food Parcels as people did during the war, but she is not I can assure you.)

She said she had posted it and it should be with us in a few days !!!! Well, I received an E-Mail from her two days ago. She was steaming!! :x :x The (as she put it) 'Bloody Customs' had opened the parcel and taken out the small bottle of Whiskey she had put in for John and sent it back to her. Now this is only a small bottle not a keg full of the stuff!! I thought at first she was talking about the Turkish Customs and I was giving out like crazy. It turns out, it was the British customs who were responsible. As she said "Why not just post it on to Turkey if they were so desperate for the drink"? :roll: She now has to re-send it. Also, before anyone says anything about registered post, she always sends anything to Didim by Registered Post. The whole system seems to have gone down the drain.

Just thought I would let you all know.... if you want to send anything here then take a trip and bring (have an impromptu holiday out of it. ;) ;) whatever there is, with you.

xxxx

Veronica

Live Simply. Love Generously. Care Deeply.
by Ronsgame 12 Nov 2013, 16:42
I have learned today that the sending of liquids (any sort) is not allowed by post, even in the Isle of England/Wales and Scotland. So that accounts for the whiskey. It's just as Wendy said, why, if they had to take the whiskey did they not just send the parcel on to Turkey and myself, I wonder what happened to the spirits? Obviously spirited away

Veronica

by PJRichards 13 Nov 2013, 07:39
Sounds a bit pathetic BUT they are funny about liquids arent they. Think, Bodrum and water. If they returned the parcel to your daughter then why didnt they return the whisky too. I would tell her to query it.
by Ronsgame 13 Nov 2013, 11:52
Wendy's husband works for the Home Office so maybe he could find out for her. As they say ignorance is no excuse but if a person does not know maybe they could get the spirit back along with a warning.

Veronica

by Ronsgame 13 Nov 2013, 11:55
I just remembered, we received a parcel last year with the same inside.......no problem. .

Veronica

by tommie 14 Nov 2013, 07:28
You can send anything in a parcel as long as you are not caught.

If you are caught then the article is impounded and you may be fined and/or imprisoned depending on the nature of the item.

Tom

Welcome to Didim - http://www.didim.me
by Ronsgame 14 Nov 2013, 20:41
One teeny-weeny bottle of whiskey. Oh Woe is Me !!!! :cry:
Even bottles of Barcardi are now sold in the Duty Free at Gatwick.... in Plastic Bottles!!! My friend just brought me one for Christmas time.

Veronica