All things eating and drinking related
by del 26 Aug 2013, 08:39
I will have to buy some more utensils for my kitchen me thinks. Well you've all given me some great ideas, I'm going to look for the ice cream I'm sure that will go down a treat
I like the cherry's in Turkey, which is strange because I wouldn't touch them in England and also the strawberries
by davido 26 Aug 2013, 08:59
What about the fab tomatoes del, ?so juicy and tasty.with the ice cream you can mix most of your favourites , even the squeeze bottle chocolate and strawberry .just fold it in. What I find clever is that you can buy say 10 packs for under a fiver and make them up when and how you want. And take up no room or weight in your lugage . We also take the dream toppings and powdered jellys to make up. We also have muffin tins which we do our small fairy cakes , adding almond essence nuts choc chips , . Or your fav bits andDo a large batch ,put in tin and they last about 2 weeks. We also buy the choclate that you swirl that you can add with 100s and thousands. : :lol: ;)
by debbie 26 Aug 2013, 09:58
David, do you need a mixer for the ice cream. Also couldn't agree more about the tomatoes, I get fed up buying the pale tasteless ones you get here !!!

d wenham
by davido 26 Aug 2013, 10:32
Yes Debbie , again we bought a value hand mixer from over here and took it with us. Then it does the cakes as well ;)
by p70jax 26 Aug 2013, 10:52
Hi Del..............good news........we are out for half term, the last week in October............... ;) bad news I have 2 balconies but they are not big enough for more than 4 people, otherwise you could have come round :)

Jax

Glass half full, not half empty!!
by medusa 26 Aug 2013, 15:33
İ used to buy the powdered ice cream mix here in Turkey but havnt used it for a few years now so don't know if its still available.
by durham rader 26 Aug 2013, 18:25
forgot to mention Goblin meat puddings just love these with mash potatoes peas and extra gravy ,but having problems getting hold of them

RAchel /DERrick. To far North to be English and to far South to be Scottish.
by franny 26 Aug 2013, 20:28
we usually go for two weeks and our best friends live above us. we usually have a meal with them, go out the next night, have a meal at ours and then have the next day on our own, eating bits and bobs. steve eats a lot of fish while we are on holiday and buys it from the little market in didim near the mosque, or on the front when the boats come in.
we buy braising steak from Carrefour and such places and mince and make a spicy meat dish with veg from the big market which we visit twice during the holiday. steve loves to cook whereas I am a baker so I have cake tins etc over there for making cakes, pies and such. we have crumbles with different fruits and carrot cake. our breakfasts are mainly fresh mixed fruit and toast and jam. I used to take bacon but we didn't eat it one year so never took it again. I buy the cheese and yog and most everything now. at first, I used to bring stuff from home but now its only stuff I can't get like limes.

part of our holiday enjoyment is eating our meals sat on the balcony drinking beer and talking without having to get dressed up for the occasion. we probably spend as much as we would having a meal at a restaurant so its nothing to do with costs. I love my apartment and being in it. we usually shop once at the supermarket and get loaded up for the holiday, and then its worth the taxi fare which we think is expensive. our beer and drinks usually is in one of the spare rooms and we bring it out when the fridge is getting low. we virtually always have a bag of food left which we give to our Turkish neighbours below us, when we leave.
by JANE 26 Aug 2013, 21:39
I do very little cooking while in Turkey! Part of my holiday is not having too, as its something that I HAVE to do at home! The most I do is the odd bacon butty for breakfast etc! However when we go to Turkey without the kids we do enjoy the odd nite in with a cooked chicken and fresh salad etc! I do love the fruit, especially cherries and peaches and always have a supply in my fridge!
Most of the time we do eat out, however we will sometimes order in. However I think if I stayed for longer periods we probably would cook more, not just due to cost of eating out all the time, but not having work commitments etc to worry about I might enjoy taking the time to cook!!
I've never heard of this packet ice cream, I'll defo give it a go, I love angel delight, reminds me of my childhood!

Jane

"Wish we were there"!
by davido 26 Aug 2013, 21:50
I always feel Jane, that its your Holliday and you do what suits you both and not to follow the norm. If your pleasure is going out all the time or occasionally to you favourite restaurant , or restaurants , good for you. If your fancy is to cook yourself and eat at home . For too long I have followed what is expected about holidays, but now we do what we enjoy doing , regardles if other like doing different.. ;)