Need technical help or assistance with your computer? Ask here.
by Shakespeares 17 Nov 2014, 19:37
Anyone who knows about operating systems out there please? My Windows 7 has given up and hangs every time I attempt to open a program. I have also attempted to use the DOS command CHKDSK/F but I just the message "cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Do you want to run at next restart?" I say yes but nothing happens at next restart. Any suggestions?
by Shakespeares 17 Nov 2014, 20:33
Same happens in safe mode, I used "Safe mode with command prompt" to get to Dos for the CHKDSK but still no joy. The restore doesn't work either. The helpdesk didn't quite cover it. I'm beginning to think this is a corruption of the hard disc, its the third time its happenned and the third replacement of the operating system. Thanks for the suggestions.
by Juco 17 Nov 2014, 20:43
There is something else to try, its a kill file programme so if its a virus it will disable it and allow the PC to run as normal but it will return after a reboot. It does however pretty much confirm if you have a virus. I will try and find the link for it and PM it to you.

Juco
by oldfogy 18 Nov 2014, 14:55
Rkill might be the program that Juco is referring to, although I do use a different one also called 'EndItAll'
I have altered a small part of the text just shorten it.

I picked and copied this from another forum I use 'occasionally' and they seem to be very popular.

Try these & Run them in this order.

1. Rkill- It stops any processes that are preventing a normal scan, or preventing a scan from detecting malware or adware
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/

2.Adwarecleaner
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

3. Junkware removal tool
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/junkware-removal-tool/

Then run Malwarebytes.
If you don't have it, download the free version, install, update, and then scan.

Edit:
For anyone who might need it.

After having a problem with my SKYPE not working (on 3 of my systems) since their updates, I think/hope, I have finally discovered which program was effecting it.

After a lot of investigating over the week-end and since removing my old version of 'NetLimiter v1.3' Skype so-far seems to be still working (or I should have said, IS STILL WORKING).

I re-introduced the same problem and this time just removed NetLimiter v1.3 software and without doing anything else the problem was resolved instantly, so confirms my first report.
by Juco 18 Nov 2014, 15:20
Thanks oldfogy, yes if was Rkill thats why i couldnt find it, I was searching for kill file and it was throwing up other options.

Make sure you run the the tools as oldfogy suggests, if you dont the virus (if it is one) will still be there Rkill doesnt delete it but stops the virus running until you run the other tools to delete it.

Juco
by oldfogy 18 Nov 2014, 16:20
Another option you can try is to run [sfc /scannow]
Without the brackets and take note of the space after sfc

No matter which OS you have, running 'System File Checker' can't do any harm.

The quickest explanation is that it allows you to insert the OS disc into the CD/DVD drive,
then from the Start RUN command menu type 'sfc /scannow' and leave it to scan automatically.
(without the quotes and take notice of the one space between sfc / )

If you don't have the/a operating disc then you will need to download a copy of the internet and place it on your HDD, 'but' unless you change the location in the registry you would need to sit at the PC to tell it each time it finds a problem where to look for the downloaded copy.

or,
Here is a tutorial on how to install System File Checker:

No matter which OS you have, running 'System File Checker' can't do any harm.

The quickest explanation is that it allows you to insert the OS disc into the CD/DVD drive,
then from the Start RUN command menu type 'sfc /scannow' and leave it to scan automatically.
(without the quotes and take notice of the one only space between sfc / )
'Without' having to sit and wait to follow any on-screen instructions.

If you don't have a built-in CD/DVD drive, then beg or borrow a USB drive.
If you don't have the original Windows disc, then again beg, borrow or download one from the internet.

Although TBH all I ever do now is to make sure the Installation location is set for my CD/DVD drive and not the Temp folder that windows creates when first installed. Which is located and can be changed in the registry from here:-
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\ CurrentVersion\Setup

How to Run System File Checker without a Windows XP disc.
What's it for and what does it do?

The main reason for using this utility is when you suspect there may be a problem with a Windows system file.
Perhaps a dialogue box appears informing you of a problem with a .dll file, or a program will just not load!
It's therefore worth checking to see if there are any corrupt system files by running sfc /scannow.

To do this simply go to the Run box on the Start Menu and type in: sfc /scannow
(without the quotes and take notice of the one only space between sfc / )

Or to check or copy the files to the HDD then you need to follow the instructions below.

First you will have to set the folders to show System files by going to:-

"My Computer > Tools > Folder Options > View > "uncheck" Hide protected operating system files"
(Just reverse this back to the default setting when you have finished)

Now check to see if the folder already exists on your HDD, if it's there.
Make sure you have the correct i386 folder.
(The correct one will contain maybe upto 7,000 files (475MB), two of which will be winnt.exe and winnt32.exe).

If it's there but you have to input/accept instructions when sfc /scannow is running then it's possibly faulty, so start at step 1
If it's there but sfc /scannow does not complete automatically then go straight to step 2.

Step 1.
If the folder does not exist then you can make one:
You will need to get your XP CD and locate the folder called i386 (I386)
This is a major folder and should be one of the first you see, now copy this onto your hard drive into the system root.
For most people that is going to be C:\ so you should end up with a folder that looks like: C:\I386

Step 2.
NOTE: Carrying out this operation may mean altering the registry, so you should "Back it up" first.
From the Start Menu select "Run..." type "regedit" (without the " " quotes)

Now you will need to tell your computer you now have the files on your PC.
We do this in the registry by navigating to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\ CurrentVersion\Setup

You will now see various entries here on the right hand side.
The one we want is called: "SourcePath"

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, and that is why it's asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:\

Double click the SourcePath setting and a new box will pop up allowing you to make the change.

Now restart your computer then try "sfc /scannow" again!

A more comprehensive and detailed explanation can be found here:
http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Edit:
Typo (note) & wrong formatting for this forum corrected.
by Shakespeares 18 Nov 2014, 17:37
Thanks to you all for the suggestions, unfortunately my system is so far gone it is dead! I found a "repair disc" for windows 7 and ran it from Dos, it got some of the way then just gave up so I have concluded that some of the hard disc is stuffed. Hard discs being so cheap these days and I always use an external drive to store data so I will lose very little. Only problem is I'm now back to the 7 year old Toshiba I used to use, its b****y slow! Thanks again.