Need technical help or assistance with your computer? Ask here.
by Lyn 18 Feb 2015, 12:48
I've been downloading music videos from YouTube for quite some time but now only about 40% of what I need is successful. The other 60% comes up with "Error".
Is there another system I can use to copy from YouTube onto my hard-drive.

Thanks Lyn

I used to be indecisive, but now I think I'm better.
by oldfogy 18 Feb 2015, 14:41
Is there any particular type of movie that you are getting errors with?
Or are you trying to do too much on your PC at the same time as the converting process?
Once you have downloaded the URL link, (which will or should stay there until you delete it) try restarting your PC and then try again, just in case something is running in the background that is slowing you down.

Because I use it fairly regularly without any problem I wondered if maybe it's being blocked for copywrite reasons.

If you use the Firefox browser there are 'add-ons' that you can use which I believe puts a icon on your toolbar where you can then access it from.
In the add-ons get add-ons box, just type 'youtube video downloader' and it will come up with a few to chose from.
Sorry other than I can't help as I also use VideoGet, but without any problem.

Phil
by ted j 18 Feb 2015, 16:52
I use firefox Lyn and use this, one of the add ons,. it works very well

It puts a small grey down pointing arrow on your toolbar, with a red "X" on it
Start playing a video (either in you tube or anywhere else) and if the video can be copied, the arrow turns blue, just right click it (while the video is still playing, no need to restart it, it copies from the beginning) and a pop up box comes up , left click the top line, then another box appears asking where you want to store it....that's it

You can even go off the video and go on another while the first is still downloading, or even go on your desktop, anything provided you don't turn your computer off till the download is finished
by Lyn 19 Feb 2015, 10:27
Thanks guys. Ted, I got the add-on and got the box with the red cross. I downloaded a music-video to try it out and now shows what looks like the image of a paper plane and I can't find where the music-video downloaded to. :? :?

by Lyn 19 Feb 2015, 12:17
Just got the download arrow back by customizing the Firefox toolbar, but still can't find any downloaded music-videos (although I'm still trying to).

by oldfogy 19 Feb 2015, 12:45
With Firefox, if you open the Tools - Options, then select the 'General' tab, at the bottom of that tab/page there is the option of where to save automatically or to ask each time, (personally I prefer to have it ask me each time) but if you look there you can see the default download location and that should be where your missing files are.

Also in 'My Documents' there should be a 'Downloads' folder which is set automatically with Windows, so also try looking there,
by Lyn 19 Feb 2015, 13:12
Hi Phil. Firefox is saving to My Documents but the 2 Download areas don't have what I've downloaded.

by oldfogy 19 Feb 2015, 14:22
Ok, the toolbar above click on 'History' then select 'Show all history'

Then towards the top of the page above the favourites is a 'Downloads' button/icon.
If you click that you will be able to see everything you have downloaded and if they are there you should be able to follow from there to where they are, UNLESS you have cleaned out your system or have settings set to clear each time you close FF.
by Lyn 19 Feb 2015, 14:46
Sorry Phil, got as far as "Show All History" but couldn't find a Favourites or a Downloads button.

When I click on one of the downloaded music-videos all it does is take me back to the Youtube web site. I can't see any way to sent it to a USB Terrabite hard-drive so as to just keep the download without the Youtube web-site.

by oldfogy 19 Feb 2015, 15:00
I think you did actually get there with the (When I click on one of the downloaded music-videos) we may be running a different version of FF and the layout might be slightly different.

Actually I only just found and noticed it by accident, but if yo you click on the Tools icon above then there is also a Download link there, but it takes you to the same place as the above way.

When I open the page which is called 'Library' the Downloads link just appears as a downward facing Blue arrow with Downloads written net to it.

If what you are trying to do is taking you back to where you originally downloaded it/them from, how about first make sure you have set the download location to wherever you want and then try again, maybe with just the smallest file you can find as it's just for testing purpose.

Phil