Need technical help or assistance with your computer? Ask here.
by Lyn 27 Jul 2015, 10:59
Not necessarily a computer problem, but is anyone else using VLC to play music/films etc. Every time recently that I start VLC after a short break from using it, I have to unisntall /re-install it. Once I do that it works fine, but after a few hours of not in use, I have to do the same again.

Any ideas ?? :? :roll: :?

I used to be indecisive, but now I think I'm better.
by oldfogy 27 Jul 2015, 12:27
I have it installed and do not seem to have any problems with it (just opened it ok).

Maybe a update has not installed properly, what I would do is to download a fresh copy onto the desktop, uninstall using windows or any other uninstall program you have, personally I use 'Revo Uninstaller' (free) just on the average setting, but maybe try it on the higher uninstall setting if you use it.

Must admit I do find sometimes the updates seem to come in batches, as if the one just installed was faulty so they what seems straight away issue another one, although I always get the question of if I want to install it, and not just the program closing.

However, come to think of it, I did try playing a new download clip a couple of days ago which did not work properly and VLC did close, but I gave up thinking it was probably a faulty download item.
by Shakespeares 27 Jul 2015, 18:09
That's strange. I have used VLC on my last three computers and never had any problems on any of them. Sorry, I know this doesn't help with your trouble but good luck.
by Juco 27 Jul 2015, 19:12
I have just updated mine and it is running ok.
Could there be some automatic update and your firewall is blocking it, just guessing.
It is either corrupt or some setting on your laptop.

Juco
by ted j 28 Jul 2015, 03:57
You may just have a corrupt file in there Lyn
Try uninstalling it and if it asks whether you want to remove your personal settings, click yes
If not, after uninstalling it, go to the start button and type in VLC and delete anything that shows up, then type in VIDEOLAN and delete anything that shows up there too
Then re-install a fresh copy of it ...that should work
by Lyn 28 Jul 2015, 07:12
Thanks all.

I'll try that today Ted.

:D :D

I used to be indecisive, but now I think I'm better.