Need technical help or assistance with your computer? Ask here.
by Lyn 10 Oct 2015, 09:27
I've just had an Android box to replace the Dreambox we were using. Can't get the thing to start and the Ethernet light on our Modem/Router isn't on. Could that be the problem and if so what do I need to do (a new Ethernet cable ??).

I used to be indecisive, but now I think I'm better.
by oldfogy 10 Oct 2015, 15:04
Coincidently I received mine yesterday (the MXQ) although I might go for the 'M8' which has 2GB RAM instead of 1GB (found out after I had ordered)

But yes Lynn, I'm fairly sure you first need to check your router is powered on.
Until it is then I don't think the Android box will function, but all my instructions are very vague.

Then again, I was actually reading the instructions today, 'for all the good it is' and it states to set the WiFi or LAN (passwords etc) before doing anything else such as going onto the internet, so I don't really know or think it would actually require a internet feed to actually get into the android interface.

Edit:
(a new Ethernet cable ??).
More likely a new router. (if it's not just a supply fault)

Is the Blue light lit on the Android box? (power light indicator)

I am assuming you have also plugged in the HDMI cable to the TV.
by Shakespeares 10 Oct 2015, 17:12
We have android boxes for both our TVs. The instructions were absolutely useless! It took us a lot of playtime before we sorted out even the basic stuff but now we almost rely on them for UK TV and movies. We found out what model we had and looked at a load of forums on the net and on You Tube about XBMC/Kodi boxes until we got it right. Good luck!
by oldfogy 10 Oct 2015, 23:38
Shakespeares wrote:We have android boxes for both our TVs. The instructions were absolutely useless! It took us a lot of playtime before we sorted out even the basic stuff but now we almost rely on them for UK TV and movies. We found out what model we had and looked at a load of forums on the net and on You Tube about XBMC/Kodi boxes until we got it right. Good luck!

I finally watched a movie tonight/last-night after 2 days of 'playing around' with the box, must admit it's slightly more pleasurable playing around than just sitting/vegetating in from of the box.

Lynn, did you have any success?

But without going to far OT, which box' did you get Lynn and Shakespear, also would you recommend your make/model now knowing what you know?
by betty boop 11 Oct 2015, 06:19
How are you getting on Lyn? If you've got internet working and still not sure what to do i believe i am down the road to you. I am by Sahil market. Your welcome to have a look at my set up? I have a lot of info bookmarked on my computer too.
by Lyn 11 Oct 2015, 07:05
Hi all. I took the cable from the modem to the Android box into Teknoloji to be checked yesterday in case that was the problem but it's OK. I've got a mate in the village coming over later to take a look. He's the Yesilkent expert when it comes to these as he's installed loads for the ex-pats here. I'll let you know what's going on.

by Lyn 11 Oct 2015, 10:38
My mate took the box to his house to try out on his system (It's the same type) and what do you know, it's the plug on the power lead that's faulty. So he brought his lead back with him and set up our box with instructions on how it all works. I'll be back at Didim Teknoloji in the morning for a replacement power lead. I am absolutely amazed at what is available. Far better than the Dreambox, and with no annual fee.

Great result.

by oldfogy 11 Oct 2015, 13:32
Lyn wrote:My mate took the box to his house to try out on his system (It's the same type) and what do you know, it's the plug on the power lead that's faulty. So he brought his lead back with him and set up our box with instructions on how it all works. I'll be back at Didim Teknoloji in the morning for a replacement power lead. I am absolutely amazed at what is available. Far better than the Dreambox, and with no annual fee.

Great result.
Glad to hear you managed to find the problem.

This is being read and typed from my Android box on the TV with the free keyboard that came with it, however it seems good for looking at the forum but TBH is not something I will be doing on a regular basis.

Edit: -
Back to the PC to rectify some of the many typos above, the keypad is ok, but not something I would like to use on a regular basis, firstly the caps or/and the shift button does not work all of the time, which makes for my poor grammar being even worse still.
by Shakespeares 11 Oct 2015, 17:06
Good news! You are probably already better than we are.
As we live in Germany we only have one small problem with it so far, we haven't found any German TV channels on it yet!
by oldfogy 11 Oct 2015, 18:23
I found what appears to be a 'Turkish' app with lots of programs, so maybe practice my Turkish when nothing else to do 'nothing else to do ........ I wish'