Need technical help or assistance with your computer? Ask here.
by Lyn 23 Jul 2016, 12:51
Is anyone else having problems accessing Chrome out here ? I've not been able to get on for 2 days.

I used to be indecisive, but now I think I'm better.
by Lyn 24 Jul 2016, 10:27
I twice did a system restore this morning but both times the bloody thing said it couldn't or wouldn't restore to an earlier date.

Now, Google Chrome is working again. Amazing but now even more baffled.

by Juco 24 Jul 2016, 10:58
Next time try system restore in safe mode.

Juco
by Lyn 24 Jul 2016, 12:40
How do I find the safe mode for restoring Stan as the only options I have when I go there via accessories are "Restore my computer to an earlier time" and "Create a restore point". Can't see safe mode anywhere.

by Juco 24 Jul 2016, 14:23
Start Windows 7/Vista/XP in Safe Mode with Networking

Immediately after the computer is powered on or restarted (usually after you hear your computer beep), tap the F8 key in 1 second intervals.

http://support.eset.com/kb2268/?locale=en_US

Juco
by Lyn 24 Jul 2016, 15:31
Ah, no wonder I couldn't find it. Will this have any effect on the normal running of the laptop (although I expect it won't).

Thanks Stan

by oldfogy 24 Jul 2016, 15:41
And if that still fails to load/work then you need to abondon any restore points you already have and TURN OFF system restore, re-start the PC then turn restore back on on and allow it to start making new restore points, but obviously that is not going to resolve any current problem.

Also it's worth checking the size of the allocated restore because simply I find if one restore fails then all of them fail, so no point having a massive restore allocation, obviously every system is different and mine is kept to a minimum of installs, and with my XP HD partition being created at 25GB and free space of 11GB, my restore points are set at 3% (774MB) still gives me plenty of restore points to chose from.
by Juco 24 Jul 2016, 15:50
Ah, no wonder I couldn't find it. Will this have any effect on the normal running of the laptop (although I expect it won't).

While it is running in safe mode yes you will notice the difference including how the screen looks. Once you reboot it will return to normal mode.

Basically what you do is boot to safe mode, run system restore, then reboot the computer and you will be back to normal running mode. Safe mode only runs the computers basic requirements which gives an opportunity to repair/fix problem areas.

Juco
by Lyn 24 Jul 2016, 17:37
Good info guys. Thanks.