A chronicle of Sharon and Eric's new life in Bulgaria.
by sharon and eric 26 May 2011, 14:49
Hi all, here is an update from sunny Bulgaria. Well lets start with that sunshine, I am disapointed with the weather as it's as hot as Turkey was at this time of year and I was rather hoping that it would be a few degree's cooler :o there's no pleasing some folk eh!!. When we were in town yesterday folk were telling me that it will get up to 40 plus in July and August but of course, we won't have the benifit of a nice sea breeze to wash over us, so really looking forward to that, "not". Well that's my wee whinge over, I must sound really ungratful to you folk in the UK who are experiencing bad storms at the moment, sorry I won't do it again. :P

We are settling into village life nicley and are enjoying the laid back lifestyle. There is so little to do but it's kinda nice not having to decide where to go, it's a choice between Anna's or Peter little tin hut bar. Peters is open at 7am in the morning and usually closes late evening and then Anna's place opens so it is very easy to plan. The neighbours are lovely, we both like the Bulgarian people, they are just so kind and friendly and the little old ladies are just amazing. It would not be unusual to see a 75 year old women who is bent double from a lifetime of hard graft, climing up a tree to shake down the fruit for the Rakia, (local hooch). They are just wonderful and kiss you half to death when they see you.

Apart from Eric and myself there are a few other Brit's in the village, we have Linda the hairdresser who has a salon in her house so thats handy for my weekly 5 lev wash and blow dry. Then there's Shirley who has practically built her house single handedly, Bob a single middle aged man who lives the simple life and then Harry Hermit who was our neighbour for 2 years Altinkum. Harry is just loving it and has renovated his house with the help of a couple of village labourers, he has done wonders in 6 months and now has chickens, goats, sheep and has a horse and a cow on order, so farmer Hermit is well sorted and has never been happier.

Here he is., I am sure many of you will recognise him.

I will go around the village and take some photo's so you will have a better picture of how quiet the place is. We love sitting at the bar and waiting for the rush hour to start, that being the farmer bringing the cows from the fields where they have been happily grazing back home for milking, I am finding it hard to describe the peacefulness of the place, it certainly would not be for everyone but it suits us.

All us Brits are going out on the town tomorrow night to Elhovo, woo hoo, can't wait, we have ordered a couple of taxi's to take us there and back so it should be a good night.

Village Days and Festvals.

Every Village has it's own special day and the bigger the village the better the celebrations, the bigger villages have, wrestling, horse racing, dancing, music and stalls and the locals do get mad with it, I believe they save up for their own village day and make it a very special day. We went Malamirovo the other week but just watched the wrestling and came away before the merriment started in the late afternoon.

Here's a couple of pic's

The musicians

The Wrestlers

Flaked out after a long bout.

We are going to a very good one soon that is a festiaval set in and around a monestery up in the Sakar mountain, there will be choirs traditional dancing in full costume, stalls funfair and much more it is a 3 day festival, so I am really looking forward to that and will be there with my camera.

I have just paid my monthly bills and they are as follows.

Electric 49 leva
Water 6 leva
TV and Internet 34 leva
2 x Mobile phone contracts 20 leva
109 Leva in total for 1 month

This has all come to less than my electric bills were in Turkey so I was very pleasantly surpriseWell I need to go and feed my starving hubby who has been bust making stuff out of wood, I will tell you all about that next time.

Have a wonderful summer all of you, wherever you are xxxx

I love my computer, my friends live in it.
by sharon and eric 26 May 2011, 15:00
Flippin Ek SF I hope you havn't been sat there since last night waiting for my report. The speed of your reply really made me laugh.
I am going to put some other stuff on real soon, once I have got this software sorted I will be quicker at getting the pic's on, it's quite off putting when every pic takes around 20 minutes to upload.

by puwer98 26 May 2011, 15:04
Nice pics so what speed is your internet test it here

http://www.speedtest.net/

Moved back to UK on 6th July 2013 after 5 years and a half years.
by phillanddi 26 May 2011, 15:49
nice to here from you sharon im glad your both loving your new
life dont 4get Turkey will still be there if you change your mind
Di .x

phill and diane marina gateway

bought from turkish home sweet home have tapu + no regrets
by PaulandKim 26 May 2011, 16:22
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: well well Harry is there is he? We biked past his place last week and it was all closed up and wondered where he had got to? Someone said he had gone to Bulgaria, hated it there and been ripped off :roll: - well he looks happy enough to us, a very nice happy chappy. Say Hi to him for us 8-)

Kim x
by sharon and eric 26 May 2011, 17:11

There you go Glynny Poo's, I am guessing this is pretty rubbish.

by del 26 May 2011, 20:26
Hi Sharon

Great update, sounds like your settling into village life nicely, I hope you enjoy your new life .

Del
by Barbarab 26 May 2011, 20:35
So glad you are settling into village life Sharon :) wonder what Eric is making with the wood :?: I wondered where Harry had gone last year, I remember asking Annette, he was so much fun at the party the year before :lol:

Bought in 2003, have no regrets. Enjoy relaxing in our home in the sun.
by tess 26 May 2011, 20:36
:D Enjoyed your latest update Sharon, so glad you are both happy and enjoying the pace.
Life is for living and you are doing what you want and at a speed to suit, well done you.
Sometimes I would love to get off this merry go round, and live a more sedate life, but for now, need to stay on.
Look forward to the next instalment.