A chronicle of Sharon and Eric's new life in Bulgaria.
by sharon and eric 20 Jun 2011, 21:23
On Saturday we had an urgent message on Skype and facebook to contact Eric’s Sisters in Scotland. Well you know what it’s like, sheer panic and just knowing that something truly awful has happened. I got Eric from the village bar and he phoned his Sister Doreen only to learn that his brother in-law, our Austin had had massive heart failure on Friday morning and died. We are devastated, he was 62 years old. We were told 3 weeks earlier that he had not been feeling too well but nothing serious, anyway he had started to improve and get his appetite back and was going to the hospital for a few tests on Friday morning. At 8.30am he went to the bathroom for a shave and Irene (Eric's Sister) heard an almighty clatter, and when she ran up he was spark out. The Doctors battled for 3 hours to save him but he was gone.

I can't begin to imagine what Irene and the kids are going through, this is the family who's 8 year old son died of an asthma attack 3 years ago, many of you will remember this, we had only been in Turkey 6 days, 1 year later his 36n year old Mum was diagnosed with MS, they reckon it was brought on by the shock, she is now losing her sight. How the hell will they cope now that their beloved Husband/Dad/Grumpy has been taken away so suddenly? It’s just too terrible for words.

Anyway in the mean time, back to Friday night, Eric was bitten on the finger by one of the cats that our Landlady left behind, he was dishing out biscuits and Joe got a little greedy and bit into Eric in his haste. We put antiseptic cream on it and went to bed. Saturday morning it was a little swollen and by night fall the whole hand was up like a balloon. By this time we had received this awful news and were busy trying to arrange flights and so on and went to bed upset and knackered. On Sunday morning, his arm was swollen and a red track going up towards his armpit so we went to Elhovo Hospital. He was seen within seconds of arriving, examined, a compress put around his hand and arm and we told to go immediately to Yambol hospital. We called back to the Village and picked up Shirley as she is fluent in Bulgarian and she drove us there.

We had a short wait in A+E and then he was briefly seen and told that as the infection was heading for his lymph gland he had to be admitted for 5 days, when Shirley explained that he had to go to Scotland for a funeral, we were taken over the road to the surgical department and were seen by a young English speaking Doctor. He explained that there was a possible chance that it could travel to his brain, by this time I was in a total flap and telling Eric that he couldn’t go to the UK, but he was having none of it. Anyway the outcome was that he was told how to take care of things, had a new dressing, a prescription for anti biotics and vitamins plus an anti tetanus shot and he also had to sign a form stating that he had refused to be admitted. Basically, Eric will do everything that they would have done but without their watchful eye on things. I asked if flying could worsen things and was told that it wouldn’t, so that made me a little calmer. Although I would hate to stay in a hospital over here, I was very impressed with the care and speed of the treatment and apart from the antibiotics it was all free.

This morning the swelling in his arm has reduced and the red track has gone, the hand and fingers are still very swollen but things seem to going the right way and he is now on his way to Bourgas Airport to catch a flight to Glasgow. I am staying to look after the animals and will be happy when next Monday arrives and he is back with me. So all in all, quite a traumatic weekend but I don’t suppose it can be bliss all the time eh!

Oh by the way, the 2 stray cats are now residing on Shirley’s Farm, we were originally told they were ratters, so let them get on with their job cos it’s the last time they will get the chance to bite the hand that fed them.

I pray that Eric will be fine and that his family will somehow get through this latest tragedy. I will let you all know in due course.

I love my computer, my friends live in it.
by tess 20 Jun 2011, 21:32
Awww Sharon, I am so very sorry.
What a tragic and sad story in every way, and for all involved including poor Eric.
I cannot begin to imagine the turmoil you both went through, the news of the death, the episode with Eric, totally awful.
I too hope Eric mends well and hope he is back to you soon.
Please accept my deepest sympathy on your loss. Very sad and way way too soon. RIP Austin.
by steve zeus 20 Jun 2011, 21:36
OMG Sharon, what a week you have had, so sorry to hear about Eric's brother-in-law, our thoughts are with you both and the family...also hope Eric makes a full recovery with his finger.Please keep us all informed. XX

Steve & Maxine.
"Zeus Heights"
Altinkum

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent"
"gunesteki yerimizi seviyoruz."
by Keith 20 Jun 2011, 21:52
So sorry to hear this very sad news. Please accept our sincere condolences on your sad loss and we hope Eric is ok. We are sure the doctor wouldn't have let him fly if he thought he couldn't manage it.

Keith and Lynn
by kmac 20 Jun 2011, 22:32
Poor Eric, Sharon tell him we are all thinking about him, and sending all our love to you both xxx

karen
by Barbarab 20 Jun 2011, 23:13
OMG Sharon what a weekend you had, so sorry to read about Eric's brother-in-law. I do hope Eric's bite continues to heal.
Barbara

Bought in 2003, have no regrets. Enjoy relaxing in our home in the sun.
by phillanddi 21 Jun 2011, 03:24
our thoughts are with you at this sad time keep smiling

phill and diane marina gateway

bought from turkish home sweet home have tapu + no regrets
by Duke 21 Jun 2011, 09:38
Hi Shaz Babe xxxx So so sorry & I certainly KNOW how Eric is feeling!!! God bless & keep you all safe through this moment of pain & sadness... OMG as above its been a rollercoaster for you Please Tell Eric Karen & I send our Love & Deepest sympathy ... The pain Does ease but only very slowly... We take our time here on Earth for granted until such things happen xxx Sharon my thoughts are with you Babe xxx
Duke xxx

Keep the Faith & To Thine ownself be True!