A chronicle of Sharon and Eric's new life in Bulgaria.
by sharon and eric 26 Jan 2012, 18:44
Well winter has been a breeze so far with only 2 bouts of snow, that was until today and the whole of Bulgaria is getting it and some area's mainly Northwest are crippled and on red alert. The tempereture's are set to plummet and tonight will be minus 9, real feel minus 16 but the larder and the freezers are full, we have plenty of wood and needn't go out if we choose not to. This cold snap is going to last for several day's but still none of the mega cold temps that we had heard of. The animals are loving the snow and have enjoyed playing in the paddock and chasing each other.

The tearoom is closed for a few weeks, one of the reasons is that we have both been ill with bad chest infections that have lasted for 6 weeks and have knocked the stuffing out of us, another reason is because folk do tend to hibernate during winter, lots of indoor decorating gets done and people just get ready for the busy spring season which is mostly spent in the garden. It would be mad to bake all week and have no one there to eat the cakes.

Christmas was a none starter for us as we were both so poorly and New Year we were meant to be hitting the streets of Yambol but didn't thiink that walking around for hours in the cold would have done us much good, so we went to stay with friends in the next village and spent the evening in their local bar. Everyone that came brought food and the tables were buckling under the strain, also Litre's of vodka and Rakia, and big jugs of homemade wine were shared out. At midnight we all went outside for a firework display and that was followed by getting whacked on the back with a twig, this is for good luck lol, they don't half have some wierd customs. Back in the bar we were treat to traditional dancing and then 3am we all piled back to Tracy's massive scool house to party till 8.30. So we did have a great time in the end but would still love to do a Yambol street party New Year next time.

Another move is on the cards for us aswell, we love the village that we are in and have the most wonderful neighbours but now Laraine and Dave have moved, we are the only Brits and will feel very isolated. We have the chance to move back to Dobrich, so we have grabbed it and are busy packing. I can still do the tearoom but will have to drive 40 minutes to get to it instead of 1 minute. Eric is still busy in his workshop and has just finished the pirates chest, I think his next job is making a staircase for Alan and Anna.

Even though the winter has been mild by bulgarian standards, I can't wait for the Spring and the warmer weather. Spring over here starts on March 1st and is called Baba Marta Day (Grandmother March) and is celebrated by all Bulgarians. Red and white woollen wristbands (Martenitsi) are given out to friends and family, they symbolize health and happiness and should only be taken off when you see the first stork arrive back from migration, they should then be hung from a tree of your choice, one you hope to bare most fruit.

I will let you all know how the move goes, sucky bags are out again and hopefully we will stay there longer this time.

Some Bulgarian Dishes

Chicken Sach

Pork, pork and more pork

Potato dish

Lamb Shank

Sunset from the bungalow

Views from my friends house in Dobrich

A couple of her cows

Old fashioned ploughing

Laz's chucks

Thats all for now. xx

I love my computer, my friends live in it.
by phillanddi 26 Jan 2012, 18:52
nice update lovely pic's sorry you've both been ill
im looking forward to the next update good luck
with the weather :D

phill and diane marina gateway

bought from turkish home sweet home have tapu + no regrets
by TraceyandBaz 26 Jan 2012, 19:08
Wow, thanks for the lovely update and the pics. Sorry to hear you have both been ill. We have both been ill here in the UK with a sickness bug, Baz with his gout and I think I have arthritis in my knee lol.

Hope everything goes well with your move to another Bulgarian village.

Keep us all updated.

Tracey
by puwer98 26 Jan 2012, 19:12
Netty updated us about your move, so will this be the 7th move since leaving the UK in March 2008?

Moved back to UK on 6th July 2013 after 5 years and a half years.
by sharon and eric 26 Jan 2012, 19:45
No Glynn, only 6 and the 15th in 22 years together, we can't help having itchy feet and being addicted to packing lol.
Anyway a weather update: It had snowed earlier today and was very blustery and cold, the snow stopped before it got dark and we kinda forgot about it. We have just let the dogs out and there is a blizzard outside, it's already drifting and piling up at the front door. They have also just issued a red alert for the whole of Bulgaria and vehicles over 10 ton have been grounded and are not allowed on any road throughout the country. I am bristling with excitement at the moment and can't wait to see what we wake up to. I will report back tomorrow. Eeeeeeek!!!!!

I love my computer, my friends live in it.
by del 26 Jan 2012, 19:46
Lovely photo's and update Sharon, sorry to hear you've both been poorly.Good luck with your move back to Dodrich, I look forward to your next post.

del.
by sootypaws 26 Jan 2012, 20:01
Sharon thankyou for the update Hun, sorry to hear you have both not been well. Hope your feeling much better now? Good luck with your move back to Dobrich. Thinking of you both. Keep us posted. Ann xxxxx
by ederndi 26 Jan 2012, 21:04
Brilliant read and great pictures. Hope your move goes to plan and good luck.
Di.
by jue 26 Jan 2012, 23:29
Lovely read, reminds me of THE GOOD LIFE ......remember with Felicity Kendal and Richard Briars........hope you are on the mend now. jue x
by davido 26 Jan 2012, 23:47
like jue says its so so laid back and ,i can feel the slow pace of life is idyllic .the photos of old fashioned ploughing etc is taking you back in time to a era i feel many in this stressed out world can fantasise .