All about shops and Shopping
by gray 06 Jul 2014, 22:08
Anyone had problems with jewellers in Altinkum? As my wedding ring had broke gave it to a well known jeweller in Altinkum to melt down and remake with an extra £200 worth of gold. All went well until my daughter took it into the jewellers where she works part time (H Samuels) to have it tested. To say I was not best pleased when the results were there was no gold in the ring especially as that means my original wedding ring was gone. The ring was stamped as 375 to indecate it was 9ct white gold but as have been told anyone can stamp that in. Will be back there in 2 weeks on holiday to confront them but wondered if anyone else has had this problem and how they resolved it, do the have trading standards offices there?

Don't want to name them yet but will once have been to see what they have to say.

Gray

PS Although your average jeweller cannot hallmark jewellery they can do a very quick and easy test to tell you if an item is actually gold.
by oldfogy 06 Jul 2014, 23:55
Just to be on the safe side I hope you will get another 'independent' report.
Obviously I would never dream of saying anything other than 'just in case' the person who actually did the last test got it wrong.

Also and apart from maybe having to pay for a independent report you should also get something in writing to back-up what you will be saying when back in Turkey, and lets face it, 2 reports (the other being from H Samuel) will be a lot better than either just one or just from your word alone.

I must admit something happening like that is always something that has concerned me when I hear of people having jewellery melted down and made into something else, mainly because most people would not go out and get it checked afterwards.
Obviously I'm sorry to hear of your problem.

I don't know why, but maybe taking some good photographs of the ring just in case you need them at a later date might also be worth considering.
by garymbrock 10 Jul 2014, 17:13
I bet they try and tell you that "that's not the ring we made for you, you are mistaken" however not wishing to sound heartless but the stories of rings being cleaned and them coming back with cut glass mounted where the diamond was in Turkey, Caribean even Europe not sufficient to make you weary of foreign jewellers?
Good luck anyway with your challenging!!!
You do hear of people getting bargains but I'm not sure it's something I'd do.
by Big Red 14 Jul 2014, 21:29
I have for the last 10 years been to a young man his brother and his elderly father in the shopping centre silver shop OZCAN. Kadir has always given value for money I wouldn't say he's the cheapest but he is reliable conscientious and I feel he is trustworthy. He also works with gold he gives discount for multiple purchases he also does excellent repairs. K
by bez 26 Jul 2014, 03:21
i took my heavy anklet to volcan 2 weeks ago it was a mans bracelet but i wore it as an anklet i gave it in to be cleaned when i went to pick it up he said hed gave it to another customer by mistake?? he got me a replacement which was sh1t but we were flying home so had to accept it BEWARE
by PJRichards 26 Jul 2014, 05:59
I can never understand why people take precious stoned jewellery to be cleaned. All you need is a shot of gin and soak the ring in that for a couple of hours. If exceptionally dirty use a child's soft toothbrush on the stones. With plain metals use washing up liquid the brush, too and buff with a soft face cloth.
by annabelle 26 Jul 2014, 09:19
I agree Pauline :D
Although we have had Jewellery cleaned in Altinkum in one were you can see it done in the Shop and stayed there with it till its done .
The shop was Balat on the Seafront but it closed I think a few years ago
Its horrible to be cynical and untrusting about Turkey all the time . Its not normally in my nature it must come from having a Turkish son in law he's told me too much about what goes on LOL .Ann :roll: