All travel issues, views and comments
by Lyn 18 Jan 2017, 06:27
On this morning's news.

British holiday makers are to be brought out of the Gambia over fears of escalating problems there. I can't remember exactly who, but members on here have recently gone there. Hope everything works out OK for all the Brits out there.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-38652939

With age comes skills, it's called multi-tasking. I can laugh, cough, sneeze and pee all at the same time.
by odd job 18 Jan 2017, 06:58
Lyn I've just been looking at a few threads on site. Think it may be durham rader who's gone on holiday to Gambia. Hopefully they are amongst those coming home. I'm sure they will be disappointed having to cut short their holiday.
by rosal 18 Jan 2017, 12:38
HI Lyn, We were due to fly out to The Gambia on the 28th for a couple of weeks holiday, the new presidents inauguration is due to take place on the 19th, if this goes ahead the problem may be resolved quickly, if the old president will not step down then the situation could drag on. Thomas Cook will not make a decision until the 20th when the situation becomes clearer.
by rosal 18 Jan 2017, 17:20
We have been in contact (several times today) with Thomas Cook, they are flying all Brits back on Government say so and will not be flying anyone out there until 31st Jan at the earliest, depending on the political and safety situation.
by durham rader 20 Jan 2017, 09:55
Have just returned from Gambia after our holiday was cut short through political unrest. Good job it was not emergency evacuation as it was a total nightmare . Thomas Cook got as many people as they could find and dumped them in the very small disorganised airport then had know idea what to do with them .yesterday waited 8 hours in a sort of disorganized Q . Only to be told when we got to the cheque in desk that our flight had left 2 hours before .( We got no food or water ) Took back to a hotel for night . Got to airport yesterday and it was once again a free for all passengers pushing and forcing themselves in . even saw two women throwing slaps at each other . We did get a plane but was told to take the first available which was Gatwick . Left Gambia 13.00 flew to Grand Canary to refuel . No food on board from Gambia except a piece of cake each . Picked up cheese rolls for our lunch (1 each) tea coffee and fruit juice was also available. Ran out of water , no duty free. Arrived Gatwick around about 20.00 .Gatwick to Manchester by coach g of back home after picking up 06.00 today :cry:

RAchel /DERrick. To far North to be English and to far South to be Scottish.
by durham rader 20 Jan 2017, 12:11
Thomas cook has given us half our holiday payment back ,they phoned us first thing today .I thought we were not covered for political unrest or war ,as classed as force de major beyond there control .see we happy with results

by Tommo 20 Jan 2017, 15:58
Great to see you both home safe and well we were thinking of you when we heard the news also slap it up Thomas Cook they let us all down with pulling out of Turkey thank goodness for Easy Jet :roll:
by durham rader 20 Jan 2017, 16:10
Yes roll on May :D

by Lyn 21 Jan 2017, 05:59
Really glad to see you're back safely.

With age comes skills, it's called multi-tasking. I can laugh, cough, sneeze and pee all at the same time.