All travel issues, views and comments
by elizaflint 16 Feb 2017, 12:52
Sorry about the delay, not been on for a few days ... Newcastle to Antalya with Jet2 167.40 for two without extras (no selected seats, baggage, meals), Antalya to Izmir 44 GBP for two (including a cheese sandwich, booked seats and extra baggage!). So total 211.40 for two. ONE WAY (I am coming back a different way)
Newcastle 9:00 am, arrives local time Antalya 15:35
Antalya 19:55 arrives 21.00 in Izmir

A bit of a long journey, but I prefer to fly direct from Newcastle ... I think it is not too bad, the price is OK as well, I would say ....
I'll let you know how it works out.

eliza
by durham rader 16 Feb 2017, 17:38
That's not bad at all ,and Izmir to Altinkum transfers not much difference in travelling time and only about a £5 difference in cost if you can get a shuttle . So good for you. And when are you going ,as this also reflects on price.

RAchel /DERrick. To far North to be English and to far South to be Scottish.
by oldfogy 16 Feb 2017, 23:37
durham rader wrote:That's not bad at all ,and Izmir to Altinkum transfers not much difference in travelling time and only about a £5 difference in cost if you can get a shuttle . So good for you. And when are you going ,as this also reflects on price.

I would suggest and recomend ionia Tours for shuttle transfers, The last twice have been transferred to private car at no extra charge.
Izmir to Didim = £10.00 without going via Akbuk so not much time compared to Bodrum transfer
Bodrum to Didim = £7.50

Edit:
Forgot to say you only pay on arrival or/and departure, but always pay for each journey separately because ONCE 'one' driver was under the impression I was giving him a £10 tip and I thought I was on a winner getting £5,00 change as a discount, but soon discovered the error of my ways on the return journey with a different driver who wanted paying, but my fault and my problem so only ever pay per trip as and when required.
by durham rader 17 Feb 2017, 18:56
This is who we use ,and have been very reliable .Definitely recommend Ionian .

by oldfogy 17 Feb 2017, 23:30
durham rader wrote:This is who we use ,and have been very reliable .Definitely recommend Ionian .

yes they have also always contacted me the night before on my mobile. as explained once before they did contact me once to say they were running late because of waiting for a NO SHOW. waiting instead of just driving off like some companies do.
by elizaflint 20 Feb 2017, 12:30
Going at the end of April, glad you think it is a reasonable deal. Improvisation is called for at the moment from Newcastle! Thanks also for the advice about the transfers ....
I decided to stay the night of arrival near Izmir airport and just move on from there, just wanted a breather ....
Might even try the bus from the centre of Izmir to Didim, but possibly too adventurous all at once, what do you think? Or go into Izmir for the day, have a look round and transfer out to Altinkum in the evening ....

eliza
by michael51 20 Feb 2017, 18:25
When we arrive at Izmir airport at 22.00 in mid May we are staying at the Tav hotel which is within the airport complex. The following morning we will get the bus (Eshot 204) to the Otogar and then the Didim Seyhat bus to Didim. On holidays so no need to rush.
by durham rader 21 Feb 2017, 17:58
Eliza do as you please your on Holiday. Enjoy . :D

by elizaflint 23 Feb 2017, 11:00
High Michael, we are also staying at the Tav, could you explain the buses in a bit more detail, is the first part of the journey into the centre of Izmir, what about timings ?? Thanks in advance ....
Eliza

P.S. For those who know I had big heart surgery last year .... pronounced 90% normal functional yesterday by doc so thrilled .... thanks again to the fantastic team at Papworth ....

eliza
by michael51 23 Feb 2017, 16:11
Eliza, bus no 204 which is operated by Izmir beleidye leave from immediately outside the arrivals area. Turn right after exiting. Tickets can be purchased at a kiosk shop opposite the exit. The service runs every hour at 20 minutes to the hour and takes about 20/30 minutes depending on the time of day to reach the otogar. You can search it on www.eshot.gov.tr . There is an English translation and an opportunity to insert the bus route.
The bus to Didim operated by Didim Seyhat leaves the otogar every hour throughout the day.
I hope this is helpful.