Car Hire, Transfers and Rail Travel
by Pete Jones 26 Feb 2014, 12:12
Thanks Lyn and Stan for putting those links on I'm sure Danny and other interested parties can have a good read,I've got no idea how to post links so cheers.
I did a daily log when I did the overland route in 2008,through Bulgaria,Croatia,Slovenia etc so if you can find that and post a link that would be great.
Just a point about the Cannakale crossing,I was told about the Lepsaki to Gelibolo crossing and have used it a couple of times now.Its nowhere near as busy as Cannakale and you usually drive straight onto the ferry,its just a bit further up the coast and is easier on the return as well coz by the time you've driven down to take the crossing to Cannakale and wait for a ferry you can be across the water to Lepsaki and on your way no problem.
by Lyn 26 Feb 2014, 12:19
Here's your 2012 daily log Pete. You just need to click on 'Page 1' to read it from the start as it defaults to page 10 ...

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=31023&p=341614&hilit=bulgaria#p341614

... and here's the 2008 one you were on about ...

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=15792&hilit=slovenia

With age comes skills, it's called multi-tasking. I can laugh, cough, sneeze and pee all at the same time.
by Geminiman61 01 Apr 2014, 18:04
My friends Geoff and Dean drove there on 12/03/14 and it took them around 30 hrs. I don't know what route they took. I was supposed to go with them but I didn't want to just drive,like a bat out of hell I wanted to enjoy the trip. So I declined their offer. They're in resort now so if you need any up to date info go have a word. If anyone drives there this year my girlfriend would love some strongbow cider,brownie points for yours truelly ;)
by lesleyb15 02 Apr 2014, 07:58
Must have been like a bat out of hell!

You said Dean and Geoff are here now. How could we contact them?

Thanks Lesley
by Geminiman61 03 Apr 2014, 05:54
Deans driving around in a red VW beetle ragtop 63 plate. Geoff normally goes into the vista,bizim ora or rainbow bar. Buy any of em a drink and pull up a tin hat ;) 8-)
by Ronnie 05 Apr 2014, 15:14
Ferry we used from Igumensta in greece and went to Ancona overnight was operated by superfast ferries. Nice cabin for overnight sleep. Ancona is easy to drive out of onto toll roads moterway.
by Shakespeares 07 Apr 2014, 21:08
We just arrived in Germany yesterday after taking it easy from Didim. We visited the island of Bozcaada on the way, what a beautiful place! This year we used the ferry to Killitbahir, only 15 mins but not as good scenery as Canakkale to Eceabat. Sorry Pete, but the trip Gelibolu to Eceabat along the coast is not to be missed and the crossings from Canakkale are so impressive! We now use the Pazarkule crossing near Edirne to get to Greece/Bulgaria, we were quite early there and were the only vehicle going through! Busses and trucks not allowed! We had stayed overnight in Pazarkule to see the old Ottoman bridges and the architecture there, very nice.
In Serbia, straight through the centre of Beograd is still the best way, the by-pass is single lane and is a queue of trucks.
We then take a more eastern route from those of you going to England, via small roads in Hungary where the customs guys realy went through us, I suppose because of entering the EU Schengen area with a Turkish registered van! We then go via Slovakia and Poland to Germany.
It was a bit to do it in an unheated camper van but we survived!