Posts about Altinkum and surrounds
by oldfogy 26 Jan 2017, 14:41
OK,change of plan, because I found this one on eBay and seems to be what I want with Variable speed (which I need to but a hole with a cone cutter on slow speed through the part of the outdoor table where the parasol fits, plus it also has hammer action and costs slightly less than £20 so it can be left there and always available if and when required.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361758576920? ... EBIDX%3AIT

EDIT:
But what always annoys me is after you buy something then go back to take a second look, along the bottom of the page shows similar and even the same item from a different supplier at a cheaper price. Damn damn and double damn
by Juco 26 Jan 2017, 14:50
Probably worth doing. Quote:

Having been a power tool repairer in a previous career I am fully aware that brushes need bedding in on a new tool. Something that Dewalt, bosch etc. do in the factory and it costs money to have someone/something do that.

Cheap drills havent had this done so if you go hell for leather flat out on first plugging in you are just asking for problems.

Run it at a low speed for a good 10 minutes, I did it using the speed control knob in the locked position, you will know when the brushes have settled because the speed will increase slightly.

This is because new brushes are rectangular and havent had the nice curve cut into them yet. Once they have been shaped more of the surface touches the commutator and passes the full power properly.

Ask yourself this, would you drive a brand new car flat out in the first few hundred miles? No you wouldnt, they need running in, even in this modern day and age, same with cheap drills.

Juco
by oldfogy 26 Jan 2017, 20:20
Thanks Stan, something I never thought of.

I was also looking on the manufacturers website to see if they were normally supplied with Blow moulded case but no mention of it for this model, so will have to wait until next week to find out, although they are listed roughly £3 cheaper. just my luck
by Juco 26 Jan 2017, 20:26
Oldfogy, I never knew until tonight and have always kicked off full blast with all my electric tools and they are all cheap end, it does make sense when you think about it though.

Blow moulded case
If not I would buy a larger one over there and use as a toolbox for all tools.

Juco
by oldfogy 26 Jan 2017, 22:23
I will admit I do have some cheap tools, cheap in both quality and price but have always had the attitude of, knowing they are cheap quality just treat them with a lot of respect and true enough they have lasted a good few years
by oldfogy 07 Apr 2017, 22:10
Just a bit of a update on this thread, I did bring one from the UK but also noted in the Million shop they were a very good price and looked fairly good and a good wattage and also percussion (hammer action) but can't remember how much they were.
by David Blair 14 Apr 2017, 17:25
wow, what a fantastic shop, it's like Alladin's cave, popped in today as I needed a few bits for my new apartment, got everything on my list, kettle, toaster, duvet, etc., staff so friendly and helpful, they even called a taxi for me as I had a few bags ! Fantastic range of items, and great prices, will be visiting often
by webb89 15 Apr 2017, 11:16
We always pop into the Millions shops when in Didim. They treat us like long lost relatives!

The old gentleman in particular shakes your hand and hugs you.

We always buy something even if just a pack of batteries.
by annabelle 16 Apr 2017, 21:26
Loved the Million shop we lived just round the corner and it was one of our first ports of call just to say Hello to the family the deserve to do well Ann :D
by oldfogy 19 Jul 2017, 10:28
Well just a bit of a update.
I bought a cheapish driller from eBay but although it did do the job the hammer action is not as good as I would like it to be, but it went through the entire wall although my masonry bits are pretty good and not been abused.

I also placed a bid on what turned out to be a very nice clean cordless deWalt complete with 2 batteries and case which I eventually got for £59.90 inc £5.00 P&P
and even after standing for the last 5 months I used it last week-end and it has still held a charge so yes well pleased with it and I just might take that over at some stage especially if I can make use of it.