Posts about Altinkum and surrounds
by Super Fulham 26 Jul 2015, 16:38
Seems a little over the top , seems London prices for a mini cab illegal immigrant not black cab . Saying that isn't petrol / diesel more expensive there ?
by Ronnie 26 Jul 2015, 17:24
The local taxi owners all get together and price fix at the start of each year, never saw a meter being used how do they pay tax on income?, oh they don't. Just an other little thing needs fixed. I have used taxi in other places and found them to quite cheap so obviously it not the cost of petrol, many are gas anyway. Just robbing greedy people.
by oldfogy 26 Jul 2015, 17:43
Sorry it's going OT, but here in the UK there are now objections from the Taxi association on the number of drivers registering with 'UBER' the problem is because people know the cost before they even get into the cab, so now the fleecing fly-by-night cabbies are not happy with having to charge the correct fare and UBER is being told to curtail the number of drivers on their books.
by Super Fulham 26 Jul 2015, 17:52
Most black cabbies in London have spent A minimum of three years unpaid driving around London learning all the routes and are all insured plus ice tidy clean motors . You get an uber taxi and you could end up with an illegal Somali. Driver who can hardly speak English , not insured . Dirty unsafe car. I don't do cabs often and when I do don't use black cabs because they are more expensive . But if I get a mini cab I don't expect him to find where I'm going , I'll have to direct him and they'll still take the wrong turn . If I had the money. I wouldn't dream of not getting a professional black cab .
by oldfogy 26 Jul 2015, 19:19
Super Fulham wrote:Most black cabbies in London have spent A minimum of three years unpaid driving around London learning all the routes and are all insured plus ice tidy clean motors . You get an uber taxi and you could end up with an illegal Somali. Driver who can hardly speak English , not insured . Dirty unsafe car. I don't do cabs often and when I do don't use black cabs because they are more expensive . But if I get a mini cab I don't expect him to find where I'm going , I'll have to direct him and they'll still take the wrong turn . If I had the money. I wouldn't dream of not getting a professional black cab .

In the future having to direct the driver yourself won't be a problem because they are dropping 'The Knowledge' in favour of drivers being able to use Satnavs, which obviously will work in different languages, your only problem may be getting the driver to understand where you want to go, either that or the get you to type the address into the satnav.
by Super Fulham 26 Jul 2015, 19:29
oldfogy wrote:
Super Fulham wrote:Most black cabbies in London have spent A minimum of three years unpaid driving around London learning all the routes and are all insured plus ice tidy clean motors . You get an uber taxi and you could end up with an illegal Somali. Driver who can hardly speak English , not insured . Dirty unsafe car. I don't do cabs often and when I do don't use black cabs because they are more expensive . But if I get a mini cab I don't expect him to find where I'm going , I'll have to direct him and they'll still take the wrong turn . If I had the money. I wouldn't dream of not getting a professional black cab .

In the future having to direct the driver yourself won't be a problem because they are dropping 'The Knowledge' in favour of drivers being able to use Satnavs, which obviously will work in different languages, your only problem may be getting the driver to understand where you want to go, either that or the get you to type the address into the satnav.
Not at all. Other cities in the world don't have the knowledge , you can land here today and be a mini cab driver the next day , but you won't be a black cab driver. Trust me you wouldn't want to be a single lady and get a dodgy mini cab in London .
by oldfogy 26 Jul 2015, 20:35
I was referring to London which is dropping 'The Knowledge'

I tried private hire back in the early 1970s and apart from having probably the worst wreck on the roads most of the time the passengers always gave directions, although I do remember picking up a well known comedian once who wanted to go to a hotel, so off I drive up hagley road thinking I'll soon spot it, when in fact I had gone in the opposite direction as it was what I think is now the Thistle at Snow hill he actually wanted, but in fairness even though he sussed me I still only charged him for the correct fee, (even though it cost me more in petrol)

So even today anyone with a vehicle and no knowledge of the area can get a job, which basically means nothing has changed, and we wonder why there are so many idiots in the job.
by Juco 31 Jul 2015, 21:12
Fixed yes for the tourists by the cartel !

Juco
by debbie 01 Aug 2015, 11:40
When we were there in June we were paying 15 lira for anywhere around altinkum

d wenham