Posts about Altinkum and surrounds
by dave h 26 Sep 2016, 20:24
Just returned from Altinkum had a great time as usual marred by one incident. When I arrived I changed money in one of the main stream Altinkum banks. I received a number of 200 lira from them I had no 200 lira notes when I arrived in Altinkum and change money only in this bank. I went to purchase some goods from a local grocery store and the note was deemed to be a fake. I took the other 200 lira notes back to the bank they were ok and changed them to fifty's, The bank are adamant that I did not receive the note from them, showed me a video of the cashier making the transaction and insisted with the security measures they take it is impossible for this to happen(well they would wouldn't they). I am seriously considering leaving this bank but there again would all the other take the same stance. When I change money in the banks again I will insist that the 50 lira note is the highest denomination that they give me

Dave
by Juco 26 Sep 2016, 20:42
Is it possible that the shop `switched` the 200 Lira note, as far as I am aware banks notes are checked for fakes by their machinery.

The other thing you could have done if it was new notes they would probably have been in numbered sequence which would have shown up the fake as being out of sequence.

I would bet on the shop making a skilful `switch` rather than the bank as it seems to be a heck of a coincidence that the one you used to pay out of several the bank gave you was the only fake one!

Juco
by dave h 27 Sep 2016, 07:26
That had crossed my mind. The shop was one of the larger chains. I didn't see it but of course I wasn't looking for the possibility of this happening.

Dave
by Shakespeares 27 Sep 2016, 19:03
Beware this situation, it could get nasty. We were in the same situation in 2011, my wife was accused by the shop Pekdemir Ciftligi of purposely trying to pass a fake 100L note and called the police. !00L was worth about £28 at the time, we would risk all for £28??! The police tried to make us sign a confession that we didn't understand on the spot, then we got the same story as you from the bank. Eventually my wife was summoned to court and given a five year suspended sentence, it was the beginning of the end of our Turkish chapter, we never felt "safe" anymore.
by Juco 27 Sep 2016, 20:44
That is scary Shakespeare. So they can easily switch a note call the police and the shopkeeper is 100L better off and you are up sh.. cr..k without a paddle

The only defence I can think of is fingerprints if you have not touched the fake note but I doubt the police would bother.

As I tend to buy all my foreign currency in the UK I log all the note numbers on a spreadsheet (takes 5 minutes) that I am taking abroad, more for possible theft than anything else. Its not real evidence you didnt have the note but maybe would help if the list of your numbers was given as evidence.

Juco
by dave h 28 Sep 2016, 11:51
People also told me that they have been issued with fake notes from cash machines. The bank would say that is impossible.

Dave