Posts about Altinkum and surrounds
by elizaflint 08 Oct 2016, 17:02
After spending many months trying to stop the litter and tipping problem in our city in the north of England, progress was being made. Our back lane was spotless, great, congratulations all round.
Woke up yesterday morning to the most filthy mess outside two back gates, babies nappies, food waste etc.etc. How absolutely disgusting.
One waste collection a fortnight for a family with three children is a joke, but still there is no excuse for this.
Just watched a video of Altinkum promenade, not a scrap of litter along the entire route from west to east.
Be grateful you do not have filth on your doorsteps like we have in the UK everywhere you look.

eliza
by Juco 08 Oct 2016, 20:41
Our general rubbish bin has this month been put on a 4 weekly collection from 3 weekly. (Scotland) Its not the first time during the summer months the bin has been crawling with maggots during the warmer summer months.

Fortunately the area we live in general is pretty much litter/vandalism and feral youths free

Juco
by ted j 09 Oct 2016, 07:03
We were bad enough in Tyldesley when we were up to 4 wheely bins
When we stayed at our daughters in Chester, they had 2 bins and 2 boxes which when they were emptied were left at the bottom of the cul de sac and were only emptied every 2 weeks in rotation
Here in Didim , we put everything in the one inside kitchen bin, take it over the road about 50 odd feet away to the council bin, which is emptied daily
We have teams of council workers who come round picking up carrier bags etc from the surrounding fields periodically and when some dipstick builders dropped rubbish on the field nearby, someone rang the council and it was scooped up by a jcb a few days later

All this for a council tax under a tenth of what we would pay in the UK
by Shakespeares 09 Oct 2016, 15:11
I don't think there's any "Luck" involved. The people who dump this waste have not been brought up properly to have some social responsibility or been told so often that someone else should do something about it, I bet it doesn't happen in the "better" parts of town.
Here in Germany we only have our bins emptied once a month, in self-sorted recycling bins of course. There is never a problem with overflow from the bins, we just adjust our lifestyles to fit this, it feels like the right thing to do.
For our council tax of 97.70€ per year we are quite willing to do things ourselves!!
by Juco 09 Oct 2016, 18:11
For our council tax of 97.70€ per year we are quite willing to do things ourselves!!

I pay £1490 per year for a declining service and we still have to sort the rubbish over 4 bins (and more on the way) Mind you it will only get worse as approx £900 of my council tax goes to pay their pensions and they will need more funds as it struggles to stay in the black so any savings made does not improve the service it goes to their pensions, salaries and perks. Between 6 directors at the council they earn almost £1 million.

Juco
by elizaflint 09 Oct 2016, 19:14
This is so true, the chief exec of our city council is about to get a salary rise of more than GBP 25,000, when I challenged our councillor, he was all in favour of the rise, although our council is labour. I don't understand this. The argument is that they have to pay this sort of money to attract good people, and that industry pays at this level, but I suspect that many managers in the local councils would never survive in private industry.
Many people do not have the amount of the salary rise as the whole amount of their salary, what a nerve this is!

eliza
by Lyn 09 Oct 2016, 20:08
Nothing but Tin-Gods in their ivory towers. This sort of thing really annoys me. :evil: :evil: :evil:

With age comes skills, it's called multi-tasking. I can laugh, cough, sneeze and pee all at the same time.