Posts about Altinkum and surrounds
by St Domingo 30 Nov 2017, 07:55
We were in David Peoples last Thursday night and it was great. There was live music on and it was really busy with a good mix of Brits and Turkish will definitely be going again and would recommend :) 8-)

nil satis nisi optimum
by WRD60 30 Nov 2017, 14:17
Hm, we will probably give it a try anyway, I guess you wasn't in L4 last night then
by ted j 30 Nov 2017, 17:50
It all boils down to what type of food you like
Although I love the country and most of the people , I can't stand foreign food .......give me a decent fillet steak anyday

There have been recommendations for some eateries we have seen , but when visiting them were very disappointed
Gustos was one ..the steak there was as tough as the sole of a shoe , some guy (maybe the owner ?) came over and asked what the problem was, so I showed him, the steak knife was having a big problem trying to cut it and it was covered in grease , so he said he would get another done for me, so I told him to tell the chef to put NO olive oil on it, just slap it on a griddle till it was cooked properly ...the second one came EXACTLY the same as the first, the bloody "chef" can't cook , Kath's meal was nothing to write home about either
We went in Ali's (the old Ghengis bar), I had chips, egg sausage bacon and beans .....the egg was raw, the beans were the cheapest available, the bacon was half and half fat , the sausage was undercooked and virtually meat free and the chips hard ...it was the worst meal I have had since September
by oldfogy 01 Dec 2017, 01:05
Ted, I understand your frustration but for me it's the opposite.
I do not want English food when in Turkey and feel disappointed with nearly all Turkish food that is served even from a recommendation.
Obviously I don't know what I want so rely on the staffs recommendation.
by ted j 03 Dec 2017, 11:21
Alo 24 on the boulevard have a really good English speaking waiter (the thin guy with glasses) and a variety of Turkish foods , as do Sehir Lokanta near the mosque and Andalu Sofrasi further up from big Migros ...these places aways seem to have a lot of customers, so the food must be good
Incidentally, the furniture place next door to Migros has been pulled down, looks like another build will be there soon
by WRD60 04 Dec 2017, 14:37
The Alo 24 is always a good standard of food quality and service, I have not visited the Sehir Lokanta for a number of years, I was told that it closed down for a period and then re-opened.
I have never visited Anadolu Sofrasi, I think that there a number of similar Turkish restaurants along Ataturk Boulevard, there certainly appears to be a lot of choice in the area anyway.
by ted j 04 Dec 2017, 18:56
There are indeed, some really good eateries but the one niggle with some places is the chefs don't know what any food apart from Turkish food should taste lake
by elizaflint 10 Dec 2017, 18:04
I went to Altinkum for the first week of November after an absence of seven years due to ill health. To be honest I was a bit worried about what I would find, but I loved it just as much as I used to .... For a start the weather was great ... really warm and sunny, which surprised me a bit. I prefer to be in a normal Turkish town and not just a holiday resort, and Altinkum-Didim provides this ... there is a lot to see just walking up Ataturk Boulevard, many more different shops than you would ever find in a town in England, were it is same old, same old chain stores. The plants and trees are fantastic and very different from in England, which was enough to keep me occupied and interested, as I am quite a keen gardener. Another thing which is great is the fact that the streets are so clean, they still actually have street sweepers, nobody from the council has been to sweep our road at all this autumn in England, the leaves are just slippery and dangerous. We have to sweep up ourselves, I don't really even mind that, but people do dump their rubbish and again the council says there is no money to empty the bins more than once a fortnight. I found that the town has moved on in a good way, and there are certainly some very smart apartments going up in the second line to the beach beside Poseidon, these apparently cost 500,000 YTL so people with money must be coming to the resort. Not that I want it to become too flashy, some of the flats actually have gold on the facades, you don't get that in South Shields!!
If you want to do other things starting from Altinkum, there are many opportunities to fly from Izmir now, and the transfer to the airport is only around 35 YTL with internal flights very cheap. I will certainly not be selling my apartment as I feel completely at home there, I have already picked up old friendships and started new ones, and the people are wonderful.... I like mixing with Turkish people ... the whole atmosphere is happy and friendly, the lifestyle is less hectic than here, you can live simply, the town is not too big so everything you need is quite near by, and so I would say it is still my little heaven on earth. Do not believe the doomsayers!
I hope these impressions are of interest! Love also to Lyn if you read this!!

eliza
by Lyn 13 Dec 2017, 07:00
simon lee morse wrote:Where is David People?

Hi. On Ataturk Blvd, just a bit further up than Carrefour [or thereabouts] on the opposite side, but it's on the Boulevard.

I used to be indecisive, but now I think I'm better.