Posts about Altinkum and surrounds
by elizaflint 08 Nov 2017, 16:27
Hi to all you lucky people in Altinkum ....
After a long absence due to illness I at last visited Altinkum again last week. A special thanks to Lyn and all at the Wiganer for making us so welcome, and thanks yet again for all the great photographs which kept me going while I was not able to come out myself ....
People do write an awful lot of negative things about Altinkum on other forums, and I was quite apprehensive about what I would find after such a long time. In fact I found the resort looking crisp and modern, the new buildings are obviously of high standard and quite upmarket, and as usual I noticed that there was no litter in the streets. This is so much better than in England!! Some food prices have risen to be the same as in England, but many things are still very good value in Turkey.
I am still pleased I bought my apartment in the town and I still love the more relaxed way of life and the great weather in Turkey (warm and sunny in the first week of November!!) and above all, the people are great, I think it would be impossible to feel lonely in Altinkum.
I have already booked for my next visit, and can hardly wait.
Thanks again everyone,
Elizabeth

eliza
by oldfogy 08 Nov 2017, 20:23
Welcome back Elizabeth and yes your absence had been noticed but just thought you were taking a well deserved break.
by Juco 08 Nov 2017, 22:23
Nice to see you made it back and enjoyed it. Was your apartment ok having been vacant for so long?

Juco
by ted j 09 Nov 2017, 06:11
I left one facebook forum because I was sick of all the negative comments , that and all the "fecking this and fecking that" loading up my page in the morning
While Altinkum/Didim has it's faults (mainly uneven roads being one)............apart from a few other small niggles for us, it is still way better than the UK
We have a better life, we are only 7 minutes away from the front by bike and up in the town , the banks, eateries and most shops are open all year

Bit of an update
We went over to Tuntas beach yesterday ........it was shut!
Seriously , Charlies etc were all closed, the only thing open was Billy's place and coming back past where a Touch of Class was , where the original Charlies bar was next door is now a hole in the ground with a huge (and I mean huge) hole opposite next door to the Temple hotel
It's the same opposite Big nose bar , a hotel has been completeley flattened
We ended up coming back home via bar street where Shooting star bar , Urban, Ambience are all closed for the winter, Chill out was open

Incidentally some people have misconceptions about the place ...........2 facts
1-The main part is actually Didim.................. Altinkum is just the front and second street up (where the Big nose bar is)
2-The beach where the Tuntas hotel is, is called Tuntas beach ....Second beach is over where the fairground is (there is actually a two and a half beach before getting to 3rd beach next to the new Marina)
If you think I'm wrong, just look at the signposts with "1 Plaja....2 plaja" etc on them and see which way they point
by Gary and Caroline 09 Nov 2017, 09:41
Hi Ted. Finally someone else realises that Second Beach is near the fairground. I have no idea why people insist that Tuntas Beach is called Second Beach. Our apartment was near the real Second Beach and, like you say, it is clearly signposted for all to see.
by WRD60 09 Nov 2017, 14:38
Hi all, just contacted a friend in Yesilkent who informs me that Charlies has a limited Winter opening. They are open every Sun, Mon and Tues throughout plus additional opening for special events.
He also informs me that as long as he has lived in Didim, the area around Tuntas has been known as second beach, despite the signage.
by elizaflint 09 Nov 2017, 14:57
Juco wrote:Nice to see you made it back and enjoyed it. Was your apartment ok having been vacant for so long?

Yes the apartment was fine because a friend had been over several times to look at it ... in fact it was great and much better than I remembered it and all the people I had known remembered me, that was the most important thing!!

eliza
by durham rader 09 Nov 2017, 17:10
Gary and Caroline wrote:Hi Ted. Finally someone else realises that Second Beach is near the fairground. I have no idea why people insist that Tuntas Beach is called Second Beach. Our apartment was near the real Second Beach and, like you say, it is clearly signposted for all to see.

We used to call this kamachi beach after the restaurant that used to be there, but this was before sign posts . Had ducks chickens and Turkey's running around

RAchel /DERrick. To far North to be English and to far South to be Scottish.
by ted j 10 Nov 2017, 06:58
All I know is, if you ask any taxi driver to take you to second beach, they'll head for the fairground
We use a guy called Sebastian and he says everybody who calls Tuntas beach second beach is wrong , he says look at the signposts ,
False names/ descriptions are easily started in this town (as are rumours)...........The nearest main road to us is Adnan Menderes Boulevard , yet everyone calls it Marina road
by WRD60 10 Nov 2017, 12:07
You have got to expect that the real local people would know the correct areas.
Similarly with Uc Mevsim Cad, how long has this been known as bar street, the first time I stayed in Altinkum there wasn't a single bar in the street.