Posts about Altinkum and surrounds
by durham rader 01 Dec 2017, 18:09
Which second Beach :D . Only kidding . Know Charlie's bar.

RAchel /DERrick. To far North to be English and to far South to be Scottish.
by clivecollins 01 Dec 2017, 19:18
Re the cameras on the front , it even better to watch now they have musical accompaniment, ! love my fix of altinkum when not there especially the changes in the weather , I wish they would put the camera on line which is down by the belediyesi bar, it would show all the comings and goings on in the harbour
by ted j 02 Dec 2017, 08:00
Charlies are doing a new year's eve bash with Nick and Dawn Gammon and a hot and cold buffet and big raffle for 100 lira
Caspers have Rewind on and a 3 course meal for 70-75 lira , U2 have karaoke and buffet for 20 lira
We got our tickets for U2 last night
It's a busy week for us next week, Tuesday we are going to the monthly auction at Cash's terrace bar and Wednesday we are going to the annual pantomime
by St Domingo 02 Dec 2017, 12:13
Was in David People's on Thursday night again and happy to say food was excellent, music very good as well as the beer (Bomonti Filtreziz) It was busy as well with Brits and locals prob 2/3 Brits. :D 8-)

nil satis nisi optimum
by Shakespeares 02 Dec 2017, 18:05
On the subject of "Tides" - practically speaking there are no tides as has been said, but if you have a strong wind over a long reach of water (more likely in winter of course) you do get a certain amount of "surge" on the windward shore which feels like a bit of tide. Conversely on the lee shore it seems the tide goes out. This can be seen very graphically on the sandbanks near Tas Burnu fishing harbour. With tsunami you can get big surges, hopefully not where your house is though!
by WRD60 04 Dec 2017, 09:10
It would appear that there is a full festive package over the holiday period, I assume that most places will be offering a Christmas day dinner or something similar
by Lyn 06 Dec 2017, 07:08
ted j wrote:Wednesday we are going to the annual pantomime

Hope you enjoy it, there's plenty of laughs/mistakes. It's been taking most of my time the last 2 weeks. Thank God it's over after tomorrow night's performance.

I used to be indecisive, but now I think I'm better.
by joshelen 06 Dec 2017, 20:02
Hope the pantomime goes well.

On the subject of tides there are tides but the rise and fall is very, very small (generally 10-30cm across the Aegean) compared to the UK, I've just checked online and whilst the sea is described as non-tidal all the sites I looked at agree that there are tides.

One of the most obvious places to see the rise/fall around Altinkum is at Marti Sitesi beach where the water is very shallow, It is actually most obvious during flat calm periods where the effects of wind and waves are nullified. It is the only place on the Yesilkent peninsula where I've seen wading birds occur rare, they generally occur during low water when there is some muddy sand for them to feed on,
by ted j 06 Dec 2017, 20:46
The pantomime was, as usual really good , any mistakes just added to the night
by Lyn 07 Dec 2017, 09:39
ted j wrote:The pantomime was, as usual really good , any mistakes just added to the night

Thanks Ted. You'd be surprised how many mistakes / missed lines there were. As usual it made life hell for me (trying to play the right music at the right time) and Patsy (the out-of-site prompter, although it was obvious where she was).

Let's try and get it better tonight and then it's all over with a huge end-of-Panto party. Didn't get home 'til 02:00 last night, or rather this morning.
:o :D :D :D

I used to be indecisive, but now I think I'm better.