Post your favourite holiday or other snaps here.
by franny 04 Feb 2014, 19:40
Aw, lovely pictures Lyn. I don't mind them really, unless they land on my head or take me unawares. it's spiders that don't agree with me. I hate the way they scuttle.

good Samaritan chewy! I love bats. in England they are a protected specie, and even if they are in your loft, you cannot move them. as kids we had a lot of bats flying around and we grew up with the old wive's tales of them.
by chewy 05 Feb 2014, 11:00
I was fascinated. It was tiny and weighed nothing. It was lucky none of the local cats got to it!
Phil
by Lyn 08 Jun 2014, 07:50
Our cats love to bring home what they've caught, Cicadas etc. This morning this nightmare (minus a back leg) appeared on a patio chair ...

Imagine if it was a few feet in length. :shock: :o :o :o

With age comes skills, it's called multi-tasking. I can laugh, cough, sneeze and pee all at the same time.
by Shakespeares 08 Jun 2014, 19:19
Praying Mantises (Mantii??) are not very nice things in fact, the women eat the men alive after having their wicked way with them.

Bit like humans realy!
by Juco 08 Jun 2014, 21:42
Not quite the right section but does contain some wildlife incidents.

So I had my usual 2 weeks relaxing break in Turkey, but it never ceases to amaze me the odd things one sees......

The weather was warm and few days later got hot, so the Turkish women started a new fashion or being Turkish just being practical ..they made conical hats out of newspaper , they looked fekcin stupid but hey it did keep the sun off their heads, or maybe the sun got to their heads and they had flipped..who knows, maybe it will catch on.

Then I watched a hen kill & eat a snake, took the hen about 10 minutes to get the thing down its throat but it eventually managed it..all 18 inches. I thought hens ate grain?

Now my Turkish neighbour really amazed me, she wore a pair of flip flops but when she watered the garden she placed her flip flopped feet inside another pair of flip flops, this allowed her to be a double flip flopper on each foot while watering the garden..another new fashion trend maybe!

I know we all complain about the dogs but this one was a cool dude, he sauntered down to the beach toddled into the water and went for a swim for a few minutes, strolled back out ,had a shake and just sauntered off to a nice shady area for a sleep.

I also managed to train the wild boar (dont tell the Turks) We put food out at 9.00pm each night and the boar were always along within half hour to feed, got interesting as it also attracted a fox, a hedgehog, a cat that had a stand off with the boar and a dog. The fox sneaked over grabbed a piece and legged it into the grass to hide, The cat backed off until the boar was finished, the hedgehog was oblivious to anything other than the food.

Juco
by Pete Jones 09 Jun 2014, 08:59
I was driving down the Yesilkent road last night and the headlights caught the reflections from a pair of eyes coming down the middle of the road towards me with a very strange bobbing up and down movement so I slowed to a stop to see what it was and it was a large stoat/weasel kind of animal or maybe it was a Pine martin.I have never seen one of them in Turkey before.
Stan, I only learnt recently why you always see chickens around huts in native villages.I always thought that it was to provide eggs but its actually because chickens will kill any snake,centipede or scorpion that comes near so a bit like a guard dog of sorts.
Where abouts is your place where the boar come to eat ?
by Ed and Joy 10 Jun 2014, 10:43
Does anyone know where you can buy chickens? Thinking about it, they would probably wander off and people would complain and eat them. I'm heading out soon and getting a bit irrational I think. :oops:
Joy.
by Juco 11 Jun 2014, 13:32
Posted for xkibris...

image copy.jpeg.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Juco
by Xkibris 11 Jun 2014, 20:17
Cheers Juco, a lot of effort for one cricket or what !! :-)