Post your favourite holiday or other snaps here.
by Lyn 09 Dec 2014, 10:25
That's what it's called in the UK when Starlings do it. This was in Yesilkent earlier today and these are just a few of the number flying around. There must have been hundreds if not thousands of birds.

With age comes skills, it's called multi-tasking. I can laugh, cough, sneeze and pee all at the same time.
by durham rader 09 Dec 2014, 12:26
when i was younger this was a common sight,but now in the north east a very rare sight , the sky lark the lap wing are also a rare sight they blame farming methods for the latter ,and house construction , no eves of roofs most being enclosed now,and other changes in construction. The poor starling has no where to nest.

RAchel /DERrick. To far North to be English and to far South to be Scottish.
by Juco 09 Dec 2014, 21:30
This one Gretna Green, never seen it myself but spectacular.
What sort of birds Lyn as I dont recall seeing a starling in Altinkum area.

Juco
by oldfogy 09 Dec 2014, 23:18
I remember when those type of scenes were also commonplace here in Birmingham UK way back in the 50s & 60s but that's also when they started disappearing, I always remember as kids people out late shopping were always mindful of being pooped on from above.

Lyn, thanks for the pics, much appreciated.
by Lyn 10 Dec 2014, 12:16
[quote="Juco"]This one Gretna Green, never seen it myself but spectacular.
What sort of birds Lyn as I dont recall seeing a starling in Altinkum area.

I've no idea what type they were and I agree, I don't remember seeing a Starling out here.

With age comes skills, it's called multi-tasking. I can laugh, cough, sneeze and pee all at the same time.
by Pete Jones 10 Dec 2014, 13:53
Great photos Lyn,I only live up the road and I've never seen this before.I have never seen starlings in Altinkum before so I wonder what they are ?
Sitting in Reds at evening time during the summer as it cooled down,I noticed small sparrow like birds coming together in groups in the trees heading towards Venosa so I wonder if its them and they are roosting there coz its fairly safe ?
by Lyn 10 Dec 2014, 13:57
Last seen, they seemed to be heading towards Marti. We get sparrows daily in our trees around the villa so I can only assume that's what they were.

by Juco 10 Dec 2014, 16:00
Seemingly they do this when under threat from say a Hawk or other bird of pray. I suppose safety in numbers.

Juco
by durham rader 10 Dec 2014, 17:26
yes seen documentaries when fish do the same thing,(not fly but group together) sardines when threatened by predatory fish , also bats ,so this is not uncommon in the animal world, as you say it,s safety in numbers also confusion tactics

RAchel /DERrick. To far North to be English and to far South to be Scottish.