How to get the best out of AA and your computer
by scottie 28 Mar 2013, 10:56
Hear Hear. Well said Tommie.

All we need on here now is a board, where Grumpy Old Men can post. :lol:

Scottie
by justubean 28 Mar 2013, 12:21
Agreed! I've said in a previous thread about the fact I am not a prolific poster but did miss the forum when it was down. Instead of going on about whether our username is yellow, purple or sky blue pink we should be thanking John for all the hard work he's done over the last five or so weeks. Keith and Lynn too thank you, you could of let it go to the wall a short while ago but you didn't and you shouldn't have to be out of pocket that's why it's right we should all donate a little to keep this great community together.

I will ask again though. Will you be doing the AA discount cards again this year?

Julia & Stuart
Aquamarine Apartments
by oldfogy 28 Mar 2013, 13:10
I'm sorry Tommie but don't have anything to apologise for.

Although it might be in the wrong thread what's the point of asking for comments 'Good or Bad' if all you are going to get is abuse thrown back.

Now if I had for arguments sake said something on the lines of the new layout looks horrible, then that would have been my opinion, on the other other hand if I had said something like I thought the new layout was a total waste of time and should be scrapped then again that is my opinion and could possibly be taken as a insult, but no, all I have said is I don't like the rankings as it highlights people who donate from people who have not donated.
by PJRichards 28 Mar 2013, 13:35
I tend to agree with regard to highlighing those who have donated and those that havent. It makes you feel like you have to donate now as people will see that you havent and you will be looked upon as 'tight'
Totally wrong.
by johnnetplus 28 Mar 2013, 14:55
How many times do I have to say this. we welcome all comments as long as members respect each others opinon and no swearing of course. I won’t even bother to reply to your points regarding my post above as Tommie seems to have said all I would say to you. And besides there is no mileage in getting into a debate about this.

So back on track with this thread:

..the rankings as it highlights people who donate from people who have not donated.

Do you really think the colour of your name or knowing if someone has donated or not will make any difference to your usage or status on the forum. If you do then you are mistaken. We treat everyone with the same respect even though at times it is hard to turn the other cheek. That's my personal opinion of course.

Donations to forums should not just be about monetary gain.

So are you implying we are gaining in monetary terms by asking for donations? If not, why post such a statement when we are doing our level best to put right the features which members are asking for. For example I have put back the make NEW TOPIC button once you go into a forum early this morning.

As I have said previously all of this is ‘work in progress’ – some things won’t happen over night! This forum had been tweaked over the past 8 years and once I installed the new interface it knocked-out all the individual tweaks. Hence working hard to put them back. Surely you can appreciate this?

Some folks have asked for the exchange rate to be displayed. Guess what I’m working on this weekend? Not because I have a mad urge for that feature but because some folk want it. I’ll set you a task, go and find the script to do a live call-up of exchange rates for display on a web forum (free if possible as there is no money in the kitty to obtain one), insert it into the appropriate php file(s) and send it to me and I’ll upload it to the server for you. Now it may sound simple but believe me after you have investigated that for an hour or so you will realise the time contraints it places upon an individual. Oh and once it gets put onto the forum sit back and wait for some members not to say well done but to moan about it being the wrong colour or too big on the screen. Yeah we can all pass comment but come on we're all on the same side!!

Kind regards John
by lynn 28 Mar 2013, 15:11
I have responded to issues raised in this and another thread, please see topic "The way forward" viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32072 as I think it makes our position as Administrators and Owners very clear.

Thank you,

Lynn :)
by oldfogy 28 Mar 2013, 15:21
Post removed, please see my posting in Information from Administrators, link in previous posting.

John has not stopped you having your say, I have!!!

Lynn
by scott 28 Mar 2013, 16:15
Old Foggy.Having just read your posts,I would like to state I feel you are misunderstood.
No one seems to appreciate your humour!I for one can say you made me laugh.
Victor Meldrew.Eat your heart out. :lol: :lol: :lol:
by colinA1 28 Mar 2013, 16:39
Phil,

I am staggerd by your posting, for members with many years of using AA we are all aware of just how much time and effort Keith and Lynn have given to have AA up and running, aided in the past by John F and latterly by John.

A £10.00 donation equates to about three pints of beer or a bottle of wine, a small amount to give for a years worth of information and banter plus all the photo's we all appreciate.

I can work out that with 2000 plus members each donating £10.00 that equates to a lot of money, I can just hear Keith and Lynn saying "we wish".

Colin

Colin and Linda
by lynn 28 Mar 2013, 17:02
We wish :) lol :lol:

Lynn :)