How to get the best out of AA and your computer
by CrashTester100 27 Dec 2013, 18:46
Sounds like you pretty much did what I would have done, except I'm not sure by your post above whether all previous files (except the config and htaccess files) were deleted and the install ran from scratch. As long as the database is backed up and left alone you can link the fresh install to the existing database.

I know it took me a long time to tweak mine and find settings and permissions that made the forums better. It's time consuming if you don't know the software before working with it.

Of course, I would expect the current owners to be happy to give that sort of access before you go ahead and give it. I'm happy to give a bit of time to this to see what can be salvaged before the big decision is made.
by johnnetplus 27 Dec 2013, 18:59
I had backed up the site before doing any of this. In case it went pear-sized. So I think the update was just the basic files being rewritten. I take your point about the database. I have now backed it up on the Server as I really don't want to lose any of the 1000+ posts which contain all the valuable information what members had posted. I have limited experience with MyphpAdmin and SQL so didn't want to completely mess things up. What a learning curve all of this was and still is!!!

As I said previously I think the hosting company (Streamline.net) have been a real pain. Keith allowed me to talk to them and they weren't very helpful at times. Indeed recently they wanted us to reduce our space on their Server. I managed to compress the size of the search facility area within phpAdmin and that got them off Keith's back. But that one is waiting for us again in the future! I hope your hosting company is more forthcoming with advice and willingness to provide support when needed?

Kind regards John