How to get the best out of AA and your computer
by CrashTester100 27 Dec 2013, 16:53
I notice that some members have remarked that people do not post photos anymore. I also notice that adding file attachments are not enabled on the forums.

This can be fixed by settings in the control panel.

Any chance I can be made an admin to help fix these things?
by Ronsgame 27 Dec 2013, 16:55
Go ahead and apply. If we can keep the Forum going you (I should imagine) would be most welcome to do that. Ask Keith, Lynn or Juco.

xxxx

Veronica

Live Simply. Love Generously. Care Deeply.
by johnnetplus 27 Dec 2013, 17:54
I have enabled the attachment facility but we didn't ever have that switched-on in the first place as we didn't want to upload large files to the hosting Server which could slow up the response time and more importantly take up valuable space. I may switch if off again but for the time being it is accessible should this cure the posting of photos - but I have my doubts.

KEITH / LYN: Do you want to grant CrashTester100 Admin status? Don't want to do it as I want you guys to make the call on this. Hope that is okay with you.

Kind regards John
by CrashTester100 27 Dec 2013, 18:50
I'm not able to upload files. You have to scrutinise the permissions for both groups and individual forums...one can over rule the other.

I understand but I don't find it drains my bandwidth or storage space, you can limit file sizes if you want.

No problem about my request to be admin. it's just an offer to help with some glitches while the forums future is decided.
by johnnetplus 27 Dec 2013, 19:18
Just had a look at the permission table for NOTICE BOARD and while the settings look okay I'm reluctant to amend anything in case I knock-out members from gaining access.

Once Keith gives you Admin rights you can have a look for yourself. I suspect that the area needs to populated with the various 'groups' we have thus to ensure the correct permissions are applied. Well that's my take on it. You will know better.

Kind regards John
by oldfogy 27 Dec 2013, 21:11
Why what's wrong with posting photo's?
The picture above has been uploaded as per normal from PhotoBucket.

I think what was meant earlier with people not posting pictures was the likes of general Altinkum/Didum photo's such as the new prom etc.

Glynn used to post quite a few but alas has moved back to the UK, although I can,t remember the last time I saw a post from him.
Other people maybe feel they just do not have anything new and worth posting so just do not post pictures.

But the point is, the facility for posting pictures is and always has worked.

Edit:

The attachment facility is not something that really matters as most people on here do not want to share files with each other, and also very few forums use that facility also.

Or is there some confusion over the use/abuse of the 'Quote' facility.
by johnnetplus 27 Dec 2013, 21:46
I must admit I thought all along members should be able to add photos. I could have added a photo to test that. But you have done that for me. So I can confirm that everything is working as per normal. Thanks Oldfogy for your posting.

Kind regards John
by Keith 27 Dec 2013, 22:24
Thanks for the offer Paul but we feel this is not an appropriate time to be making any changes. We are looking to sell the site as is and leave any changes for the new owner to implement.

Keith
by CrashTester100 29 Dec 2013, 13:26
oldfogy wrote:Image
Why what's wrong with posting photo's?
The picture above has been uploaded as per normal from PhotoBucket.

I think what was meant earlier with people not posting pictures was the likes of general Altinkum/Didum photo's such as the new prom etc.

Glynn used to post quite a few but alas has moved back to the UK, although I can,t remember the last time I saw a post from him.
Other people maybe feel they just do not have anything new and worth posting so just do not post pictures.

But the point is, the facility for posting pictures is and always has worked.

Edit:

The attachment facility is not something that really matters as most people on here do not want to share files with each other, and also very few forums use that facility also.

Or is there some confusion over the use/abuse of the 'Quote' facility.

What you are doing is linking to a photo using the [IMG] tag..we can see this is enabled as it is showing as turned ON in the massage editor. But that methods requires a degree of knowledge about the Internet..one must go to an external host such as Photobucket, upload their photo, copy the link then come back to AA and copy it between the [IMG] tags.

This forum software allows images to be uploaded within the message editor and is displayed within the post in one process.

It's much easier, much more user friendly and the admin here has more control over image sizes and content.

From my experience, the kind of people who use forums such as this are older and not up to date with technology. It's more encouraging to make the process simpler and less complicated in order for them to utilise the forum fully. Facebook is a prime example, it makes posting content easy.
by CrashTester100 29 Dec 2013, 13:28
Keith wrote:Thanks for the offer Paul but we feel this is not an appropriate time to be making any changes. We are looking to sell the site as is and leave any changes for the new owner to implement.

No problem Keith, thanks for the reply.