How to get the best out of AA and your computer
by oldfogy 29 Dec 2013, 15:35
From my experience, the kind of people who use forums such as this are older and not up to date with technology. It's more encouraging to make the process simpler and less complicated in order for them to utilise the forum fully. Facebook is a prime example, it makes posting content easy.
Mainluy it's just habbit, yes with what we were first introduced to and now becomes just second nature.

But yes in the main I agree, except there are advantages for posting this way, one of which is if the forum is locked for editing which on some forums they are although most do give some modicum of time before locking, then if I want to remove a picture then I can't, but with loading from the likes of Photobucket I simply remove the picture (or re-name it), obviously one draw-back with that is you start seeing posts with just a small RED letter X where the picture should be or a note saying it has been moved or removed.

But the main advantage is by being able to post BIG pictures like the one above, instead of using the attach facility which then usually only displays a smaller picture and in some (a lot) of instances the size tends to be not much bigger than a thumbnail size, probably due to forum settings.

Although the downside to the above method is it probably does use more bandwidth to display the larger picture, but not very sure on that score.

EDIT.
Sorry I posted that above before I noticed there was a 2nd page with earlier posts explaining about the bandwidth etc.

However, one other plus for using the likes of Photobucket is that you get to see all the pictures at once instead of having to individually click each attachment, which if trying to compare any pictures, then that becomes awkward.
by christella 29 Dec 2013, 16:53
I have just joined crashtester100 forum and got an amazing welcome I we'll recommend it

bowling is like sex you dont have to be any good at it but you really enjoy it
by Keith 29 Dec 2013, 20:11
Another problem with posting large pictures is that on smaller screens (my iPad being a prime example) it overflows the screen and shrinks all text in other posts on the same page.

That is what has happened after you posted that first pic John and is why we have always recommended a max resolution of 800 x 600 pixels.

Keith
by CrashTester100 29 Dec 2013, 20:43
Correct Keith. Using the [IMG] tag and external hosting youo have no control over the size and is one thing that really bugs me about that kind of linking, it can look ugly.

With the attachment function you can specify a maximum file size and also set what size the thumbnail image is. On mine I set this to 400 wide which is is enough for viewing generally without needing to click it, otherwise you can click the attachment to view the full size.
by johnnetplus 29 Dec 2013, 22:33
Hi Guys,

Been bust today with Xmas matters and totally pi##ed now to sort this out. But I agree I need to set the size of the images posted are resized to be more acceptable on the site. Just some fine tuning thats all. Dead simple but need to be able to think straight hence too much beer tonite means best i leave this tomorrow. But just gos to show what the forum can do in the future. Now off for another beer........... :D

Kind regards John