How to get the best out of AA and your computer
by Derekfrizzel 01 Aug 2016, 06:11
I currently rent out my apartment to Turkish people.

Eventually, I am going to take the apartment back and use it myself. My plan is to change the locks on the main door to the apartment. There is also a metal security gate that closes over the front door that will also require the locks to be changed.

Is this something that I can fo myself?

Is there a shop that sells replacement locks and if someone has arranged this , is it an easy job?

I would like to know so that when I am over in the future, I can make this one of my priorities

Derek Frizzel
by Lyn 01 Aug 2016, 06:52
Hi Derek.

I've changed a few locks on the front doors and it's a 2 minute job. Just one screw to undo for the old lock to come out for changing. You can get a new replacement from any of the DIY shops such as YAPI MARKET on Ataturk Blvd.

I haven't changed the locks on the metal outer door but it looks as though it should be just as easy.

It really is an easy DIY job.

With age comes skills, it's called multi-tasking. I can laugh, cough, sneeze and pee all at the same time.
by Juco 01 Aug 2016, 09:20
As Lyn states its a 2 minute job. A couple of points though:
Make sure your replacement is the correct length, probably best you take the old one so it can be sized against a new one.
Once you take the screw out you will probably have to line the `cams` up before the lock will slide out, this is done by putting the key in the lock and turning it.

This explains it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9A915L_mlk

Juco
by Lyn 01 Aug 2016, 09:32
Thanks Stan, good advice.

With age comes skills, it's called multi-tasking. I can laugh, cough, sneeze and pee all at the same time.
by oldfogy 01 Aug 2016, 14:46
Fortunately I've never had a problem changing any locks, either in the UK or Turkey.

Recently I had to change one of those 'Star Shaped' key lock bolts and on first impression when I got the actual casing out of the door which apart from anything else looked 'huge' then with 'carefully' removing the 3 outer plate fixing screws it revealed the actual locking mechanism which was just a very small barrel type fitting...... BUT, there was a slight difference with the new unit because it also had a small metal pin which was probably for alignment purposes, but this had to be removed by pulling it out to fit the unit it was going to go into to be able to lay flat, so although a slight difference still not a problem and no no big deal.
Oh yes, and the cost of the new lock was very cheap and the shop keeper also asked I needed him to fit it.

The thing is, take your time, or take them out and take them to the shop.
(Obviously leaving someone at home when you are away)
by Tommo 02 Aug 2016, 10:46
When buying go for a good lock the yale copy kale are ok don't get a cheep one they will only fall apart inside in a short time see you all soon Tom :D