The place for ALL new members to introduce themselves BEFORE posting elsewhere
by Derekfrizzel 20 Aug 2015, 20:59
This may be old hat to some forum members but in the off chance that there are people out there who are not aware of this.

You can stream television from the internet as long as you have an internet connection.

I tried it on my computer in my house as I wanted to get access to BT Sports as I am a SKY subscriber.

The software is called KODI and it can be installed on a number of operating systems. I installed it on my computer on a windows operating system.

There are tutorials on Youtube. After installation you get access to all the free view channels and all the sports channels as well as movies.

Have a look in youtube - type in the search bar on you tube - "how to install kodi on...... depending on your operating system. There is a talk through tutorial on how to install the software. It takes about 45 for the people who are not computer experts.

This may be handy for any person staying in Altinkum all year round that do not have access to UK television.

Derek Frizzel
by Juco 20 Aug 2015, 23:07
It probably is old news to many but if like me you have never tried to access TV via the internet it can be very useful information.
So thanks for posting, some of us are just catching up with what others have been doing for years.

Juco
by Lyn 21 Aug 2015, 05:59
"FilmOn" is also handy although sports are limited to what ITV & BBC put on.

With age comes skills, it's called multi-tasking. I can laugh, cough, sneeze and pee all at the same time.
by marian 23 Aug 2015, 06:53
Another alternative, again you do need internet connection.

I have had an Android box plug into my tv.,it came fully loaded and updates itself.
No freezing. Brilliant picture.
Thank heavens for that as I am not a techie person

The only problem is, what to watch as there is so much to choose from.

Also no monthly or yearly subscription
by oldfogy 23 Aug 2015, 08:13
marian wrote:Another alternative, again you do need internet connection.

I have had an Android box plug into my tv.,it came fully loaded and updates itself.
No freezing.
Thank heavens for that as I am not a techie person

The only problem is, what to watch as there is so much to choose from.

Also no monthly or yearly subscription

Although I am a retired electrician where some things such as phones and electronics are concerned I am probably one of the worlds dumbest of people, (electronics just seem to pass me by)

So for myself and anyone else in the same boat can you/someone please explain (in laymen's terms) what is a 'Android'?
Also maybe where do we get such a beast, the cost is probably not too relevant because as you say you only buy it once and if it's something you want then the price is almost irrelevant. (just as long as it doesn't dip too far into the Tuborg kitty)

Thanks.

Edit:
I just had a search and the first article I came across and read looked pretty good and also helped to explain a few things to my none techie brain.
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/sho ... ?t=5246650
by Derekfrizzel 23 Aug 2015, 09:01
I too would like someone on this forum to tell us. When I look back, I remember watching TV via the satellite dish method in Altinkum and only getting one English speaking channel, BBC World News. I realised at that time that unless you had a satellite dish that was the size of a house, you would not get anywhere.

Roll on a few years and I remember reading on this forum a couple of years ago about streaming television.

I was not clued up on it but I was informed that if you buy a box from Amazon for about £100 , you could connect to the Internet and get television.

I was speaking to a workmate only last week who told me about the Kodi software. I downloaded it onto my computer to see what happened. It works but I am still curious to see what the best option would be for watching in Turkey.

Am I right in saying that you just contact a company like Turk Telecom and arrange to get an Internet connection to your property, take out an unlimited allowance and then plug your box into the television.

Also, as your are continually streaming, how much of your allowance would you use if you were to watch an evening's worth of television. I mean if you were to live in Turkey long term, you would not be hitting the bars every night and you want to spend a few nights chilling in front of the television.

Any information on this would be appreciated.

Which box do you buy?
What is the cost of the Internet connection and monthly package required?
Do you have to install further software like Kodi or does you box come with all the free view UK channels?

If someone knows more, could they add to the thread as there will be a lot of us thinking the same.

Derek Frizzel
by marian 23 Aug 2015, 13:08
The box I have is as far as I know is called an Android.
İt is 15cm by 10 cm and 1 cm or roughly 6'' by 4'' by 1''
It plugs into your internet and your tv. No sat dish needed and not a ton of wires either.
I have unlimited internet so no problem and I do watch it a lot.

It cost me 300 tl. Price may be different now as I have had mine for a bit. The man who I got off. He
fully loaded it, installed it and showed me how to work it. His name is Terri Redding, he lives in Akbuk and he is on facebook.
Kodi is brilliant.
I did get stuck a couple of times, but a phone call,text or message and you get him straight away, very helpful.
Especially some one like me that is no tech savy.
My internet cost me 49tl a month
The beauty of this is apart from no monthly subscription, it updates it's self.
by marian 23 Aug 2015, 13:18
Derek.
I live here, don't go out to bars at night. So my TV is on.
In winter it is on during the day.
Normally I don't watch the TV much in summer but since I have had this installed I have watched it a lot. Plus having a couple of weeks hols out here in the sun is great but when you live and it has been so hot again for the first time ever I have been watching the TV in summer.
by Shakespeares 23 Aug 2015, 17:08
The boxes are also known as XBMC boxes or Droid Player. "Android" is a Google invented operating system that was developed for smartphones and Tablets with touch screens. They can be bought pretty much anywhere in the UK (we have two working from the same WiFi, cost £93 pounds each some time ago) and come pre-loaded with UK TV channels, films, TV series, etc, etc. and they work well in Turkey. We connected up ourselves so anyone can do it! Mind you, I do have my sons phone number in case of needed advice!