The place for ALL new members to introduce themselves BEFORE posting elsewhere
by Scousemouse 16 Jun 2016, 09:58
Hi,
I am new to the forum having never been as far north as Altinkum although I have travelled inland and explored the south coast from Alana/Antalya to the Bodrum peninsula for many years. We decided on a change this year but will need information about this area from those that know it well!
by Lyn 16 Jun 2016, 12:54
Ask away. Plenty of info on here.

With age comes skills, it's called multi-tasking. I can laugh, cough, sneeze and pee all at the same time.
by Juco 16 Jun 2016, 15:12
Welcome to the forum scousemouse

Juco
by Duke 16 Jun 2016, 21:17
Welcome Laaa!!
Duke

Keep the Faith & To Thine ownself be True!
by Tommo 17 Jun 2016, 08:46
Welcome to the Forum you will be among friends :D
by Bugsy 18 Jun 2016, 08:26
Welcome to the forum. It might be an idea if you advised what sort of thing you are wanting to know.
IE. Local Historical Sights, Days out, Nice Beaches, Best Restaurants/Hotels etc. Also, maybe what age group you & your family are.
Enjoy your time in Altinkum.
by Scousemouse 18 Jun 2016, 09:43
Thank you everyone, what a great welcome! Many of my questions revolve around transport as we use buses and dolmus to travel about. I came across this forum as a result of a search to find the otogar and the distance from our accommodation, I now know it is near the hospital and Tuntas suites where we are staying are a bit of a distance away
Q1 Is there a dolmus on Yali Cd? Where does it go, anywhere near the otogar or will we have to get a taxi?
Q2 We would like to go to Miletus, I have been told the Soke dolmus will pass near the site, where do we get this dolmus?
Q3 Can we also get the dolmus to Didyma?
Q4 We are walkers and enjoy hiking, are there any coastal walks or waymarked trails around the area? Bafa Lake looks interesting (a lot depends on the temperature at the end of September if there is no tree cover), will we be able to get there?
Restaurants - we don't do posh, good food and a nice atmosphere, live music is of interest, just two friends, no kids so we tend to walk for a good while before we settle down with a couple of Efes! nice beach recommendations also welcome
Thanks
by Bugsy 19 Jun 2016, 08:51
Hi there, I am afraid I cannot be of much help on buses as we tend to drive everywhere.
I do know there is a bus that goes past Miletos as there is a lady that lives in Balat village which is near to there & she uses this to come into Altinkum every week.
Miletos is one of my favourite places in the area & well worth a visit, but if you could hire a car for the day, you could continue on to Doganbey for a lovely fish lunch & then to another ruin called Prienne.

From Tuntas Suites, it is an easy walk into Altinkum & there are dolmuses at the bottom of the boulevard which will take you up to the Apollo Temple which has some lovely Turkish Restaurants. It is not that far to walk, but it is up hill, so if anything I would recommend walking back down to town rather than up to the temple.

From Tuntas there is a coastal path which you can follow around through Yesilkent & Fevsipasa which have some lovely quite beaches & pontoons to sunbathe on. I believe this path can be followed all the way to Akbuk, but I am afraid I cannot say this with any certainty as I have not managed to walk that far!!

Lake Bafa is lovely too & there is an ancient Greek Village on the other side of the lake. A number of tour companies do trips here from Altinkum, but I guess it could be possible to get the Bodrum bus & ask to dismount at the lake.

One of the members of this group has compiled a website with lots of useful information If you would like to take a look - http://didim.me/bus-routes/bus-routes

Hope you have a great holiday & enjoy your time in our lovely town.
by Scousemouse 19 Jun 2016, 16:53
Thank you Bugsy that is most useful, we hope to also visit Priene which is on the same dolmus route I believe. Although I do drive we like to get the dolmus, see the countryside and meet the locals. The didim link is most welcome and has a lot of information for us to wade through!